Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Hello,

I use a Mac Book Pro (running Mac OS Big Sur 11.1) for my desktop setup, which is connected to a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse, as well as a Logitech MX Keys keyboard ... I also use three external monitors - my Mac Book is in a stand and and turns on automatically as soon as I turn on the power plug (where all devices are plugged in) - so in principle there should be no need taking it out of it's stand....

Now to my problem: If I switch off the Mac Book (happens from time to time, for various reasons), and then switch it on again, then neither my mouse nor the keyboard works, before I initially logged in for the first time - this means taking the Mac Book out of the stand, making space on the desk, opening it, typing in the password (because the fingerprint is not taken initially) and only after a successful first login I can then use the external mouse and keyboard.

My question is: How can I set up Mac OS so that I can use my external devices, in my case mouse and keyboard, at the initial startup/login? I guess it has to work somehow, since Mac OS also runs on the Mac Pro and the iMac, which rely on external devices for input.

Best,

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Its a 2019th 16" MBP with 4k display a.s.o. The stuff is connected via bluetooth - no dongle needed (I thought).

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
I can't really say that, since all my stuff is new (including the Mac Book). ^^

But I am right, that this isn't quite normal?

Last edited:

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
I now tried to solve the Problem by contacting Apple Support ... they didn't know if this is normal (so I still don't know) - is anybody else facing this Problem??? They also tried a few things (resetting memory) nothing worked yet.

What I can say is, it might not be an hardware issue, since (if I start the MBP through dualboot) it works in Windows. ^^

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Thank you for helping - there is an option in Big Sur as well - I tried it out but it wasn't successful :/

JCage

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I had this same problem as well, but with my 2020 imac and it sounds like it's a Big Sur issue. I had to keep connecting my apple keyboard in order to log in because the BT failed to recognize the mouse or the keyboard. I like the MX keys. Ended up returning them....for now.

Reactions: HansBricks

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I don’t see it mentioned here yet, but in a another thread I read recently with a similar situation — I can’t find it now, so, sorry to the person for lack of credit — someone asked if FileVault was enabled. Sure enough, that was the cause/problem.

Reactions: HansBricks

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Ah okay, thanks - in my case it is activated - I will try and report! : )

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
I don’t see it mentioned here yet, but in a another thread I read recently with a similar situation — I can’t find it now, so, sorry to the person for lack of credit — someone asked if FileVault was enabled. Sure enough, that was the cause/problem.
After deactivating FileVault everything worked again - btw. the update to Big Sur 11.2 did not solve the problem!
Thanks a lot for helping out! : )

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Supposedly, it’s not a flaw. The consensus appears to be when FileVault is enabled, macOS doesn‘t connect any third-party BT devices until after logging in — something like a Safe boot.

If your Logitech devices can use the Unifying receiver, you can use that and re-enable FileVault as a workaround.

HansBricks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Thanks for answering - ye, maybe it makes sense in some way (I think they've not done it for fun ^^) - in my case that will lead to no hard drive encryption at all - which is the worst solution ... hopefully they'll add an option to make it possible using both FileVault and External BT Devices for login..

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Same issue for me. So, like others have said, I have turned off the File Vault option. In a moment, I will restart the unit, and see what happens.

PS: A moment ago, I had a Support Chat with Apple, and they had NO IDEA what the issue was. And, they could not even point me to the right logs, to see why the unit restarted on it's own.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Update:
Well, just restarted, and Logitech Keys keyboard and Logitech MX Master mouse worked. I was able to log in. Brilliant. Let's see how this does over the coming days.

Thanks for the help/tips...

JCage

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I use picked them up and have both devices connected thru the unifying receiver. No problems at all. Great keyboard and mouse combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.