Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v1nsai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hey all, I use the Swype keyboard by Nuance as my default keyboard (yes I set it to the top of my list) but it randomly switches back all the time. I know 3rd party keyboards aren't allowed in the password fields, but usually when I go back and forth between unlocking my phone and texting, I'd say 1 out of 3 times I unlock it and already have the Messages app open, it will switch to the stock keyboard and I have to manually re-select Swype.

Is there a way to prevent this? It's really annoying. I just recently came back from using Android for a few years so I don't know if this happened in iOS 7 or 8.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately you can't use a third party keyboard on the lockscreen for responses in e.g. Apple's Messages app if that is what you are trying. When your devices is unlocked and you text within the Messages or any other apps (e.g. Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Mail, Spark, Airmail or whatever) it does work fine on my iPhone 5s and iPad mini2 both running iOS9.3.1. I'm however using Swype and also test out Path Input (iPhone and iPad version) or Go Keyboard (all swiping keyboards). See also the general keyboard topic. Third party keyboards can be used since iOS8 and up. It has been pretty stable since iOS8.3 and 8.4 and again since iOS 9.1 and up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.