Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I am in need of an extension cable for my iMacs stock USB keyboard. Due to I'll health, I plan on keeping out of my chair for a while and using the keyboard on a table whilst I recline on my sofa.

I know all about BT etc. But this seems to be a cheaper and equally effective option.

Did some research, but got no conclusive answer....My main concern is that the inline booster will cause logic board damage by putting current INTO the USB port.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
You can expect a USB cable to work if it's between 3 and 5 meters long. Any longer then that and you will need a wireless solution.

The cable I have purchased is a TRIXE with inline booster....Hence my voltage related question. The small in line booster concerns me, but is REPUTED to extend USB range on peripherals including keyboards.

Two sites say its fine, others are non- committal, and yes I know about the range of USB...It's the logic board that worries me.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The cable I have purchased is a TRIXE with inline booster....Hence my voltage related question. The small in line booster concerns me, but is REPUTED to extend USB range on peripherals including keyboards.

Two sites say its fine, others are non- committal, and yes I know about the range of USB...It's the logic board that worries me.

Sounds like you should have thought about the implications before you made your purchase (or at least stated as such from the start), or bought a unit with more customer reviews. I made it a policy a long time ago to avoid buying things with an inordinately small number of reviews compared to its competitors.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Sounds like you should have thought about the implications before you made your purchase.

Remarkably informative and helpful. Thank you.

FYI I did research this. The cable cost £9 the BT KB in the UK now costs £60. The ill health is ( hopefully ) a temporary thing, so a cost effective solution makes sense.

Anybody else tried this?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Since the booster is passive, and can be used with printers, HDD enclosures, and gaming devices, it's logical to assume that the minimal amount of current will not damage my iMac?

That's how I see it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I guess nobody has tried this, which means that it either won't work or is in fact potentially dangerous to my iMac.

I will probably return the cable...Not worth risking the damage.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Did some research, but got no conclusive answer....My main concern is that the inline booster will cause logic board damage by putting current INTO the USB port.

Any thoughts?

A booster cable seems to be a sensible idea...

Do you have a link to the item? I'm googling for "TRIXE USB booster" but not finding much.

There's certainly an industrial market for USB line drivers and the like - so there should be usable products out there. It should be boosting the keyboard end though - not the Mac end.

USB is specified up to about 3-5m... you may have success just getting a standard powered hub (<£10) and putting that at the 5m point, then using a second 5m cable.

Edit: There are legit USB extenders out there. You need to google for 'active USB extension'. Maplin has these for £20 - you can stack 3 to get 20m runs.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-2.0-active-5m-extension-lead-97272

there are also other people doing adapters that are more industrial-oriented (for example, running USB over CAT5 ethernet cable, with a converter at each end).

Last edited:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

That should work fine.

I think it's odd that it's a 10m cable. Since USB is designed to work to 5m maximum you'd ordinarily get 10m by having the booster half way along. Having any 10m cable is kind of outside spec. Still, if it works...

I don't think there's any danger of frying ports. The booster circuit will supply a low-resistance signal down the wire, overcoming the tendency of a cable's built in capacitance to roll off the top end of a signal (like a single coil guitar plugged into a long lead). The voltages in the signal shouldn't be any different though.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
^^

Thanks, I thought that was the case....I'm used to wiring gigawatt stacks! I think it will either work or the KB delay will be awful....Still for £10 I will no doubt find a use for it one day!

The genuine Apple offering is expensive, and I've pretty well looked at all the other offerings!!!

...All this to play Bioshock on my sofa via my 42" HDTV..(which is why I haven't stumped up for the £60 Apple version!)

Thanks again..:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.