Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Cologne, Germany
Hey guys,

I‘m currently working on fixing my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 keyboard.

I spilled a glass of wine over my keyboard so that some keys stopped working. Some wheren‘t effected.
I couldnt recognize any other deffects.

A couple of days ago I bought a seperate keyboard and replaced it with the broken one (same model). The whole replacement worked fine, I didn‘t rip any cable of...

Now after the replacement

some keys that used to not work now work and some other dont. (not the same keys)
With some keys also the connection seems to wiggle.
Power button not working.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could have done wrong or where the problem belongs from?

Thanks and best regards
Max Rodenkirchen

Last edited:

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
liquid damage is unpredictable, can be problem with connector on the logic board or the logic board itself

skaend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Cologne, Germany
liquid damage is unpredictable, can be problem with connector on the logic board or the logic board itself[/QUOTE
okey, but anyways isn‘t it strange that after replacing the keyboard it changend which keys work and which dont?! +powerbutton stopped working after replacement

skaend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Cologne, Germany
I see what u are saying. But its obvious that something changed during replacement and Im trying to figure out what I could have done wrong.
Thx anyways

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Issues created by liquid exposure don't always appear right away; they can take days, weeks, or months to manifest themselves.

Did you examine the logic board for signs of corrosion by removing it from the case?

skaend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Cologne, Germany
Liquid damage happened two years ago and since then nothing changed.

I defenetly checked the mainboard and its completly undamaged.

It maybe that I connected something... I dont know

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Two years is a long time ago so it doesn't appear to be related to liquid exposure which makes the issue a more difficult to diagnose.

If the replacement keyboard never worked properly, the replacement keyboard may have been defective out-of-the-box.

Does an external keyboard work properly?

Is the trackpad functioning properly?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The retina MBP and Air route the power connection through the keyboard and a defective keyboard can affect the power button.

Does the power button work at all?

Attachments

• keyboard+power+button.JPG
    keyboard+power+button.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 158

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Liquid damage happened two years ago and since then nothing changed.
I have a user who spilled wine on their 13" 2015 MBP nearly 3 years ago, while it was still practically new. It worked perfectly fine until about 2 months ago when it stopped working due to damage to the trackpad module. Damage from liquids like wine may not immediately appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.