Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Through testing I have found my last keyboard before hitting the junkyard endured well over 3 million key taps. Pretty interesting if you think about it. That's a lot of punching of the keys.

Keep in mind this keyboard that I am referring to, came and went in a years time. In result, this would mean I tap the keyboard almost 10,000 times per day. :eek:

I just purchased my iMac G5 back in March along with a brand new Apple Keyboard and just in this short period of time, the A key is already discoloring. Also to keep in mind, it's not because of dirt simply because I wash my hands every time before I jump on my iMac (Yes, I love my Mac that much!).

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
In less than a year, I think I need a new one too. The keys seem to stick, which makes it sorta tough to type without paying too much attention to where my fingers are.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Darwin said:
Yes I'm wondering how you managed to keep count :D

I have a counter on my (old) PC which I bought a year ago and ran a check on how many keys had been hit since I started it up. Although now the PC is sitting in the corner of my desk, gathering dust.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
You can get keyboards professionally cleaned, which should fix sticky keys.
Discoloring IS dirt. Try wiping down the keys.
At £19 it's not much of a price to pay though.

EDIT: do you mean 3,000,000 taps for each key? Surely the actual keys' mechanism have a cycle lifetime only, not the whole kb?

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I've had one of my Macs for over 4 years now. I've must have surpassed the 3 million mark a couple years ago and yet the keyboard still works perfectly.

Are you sure you don't hit the keys too hard or something. Perhaps with a clenched fist. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
From my memories as a mechanical engineer, we were told that everything had a limitation (which is true) and that we must assign a number to all of these limitations (which is impossible and involves much guessing). I'd take the 3,000,000 figure with a pinch of salt because there are so many variables involved in the lifetime of a keyboard that it's really pretty redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.