Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Hi all!

I have a question. I've bought my first ever Macbook in January. Everything been doing great, but today I saw keyboard marks on the screen. It is a laptop for work, so I'm not carrying it around much. Why did this happen? Is this factory defect?

It's a very expensive machine and I care a lot about my stuff. I just can't get over with this... it's fresh new device, no pressure on it, no keyboard cover...

What should I do? Go for replace or what?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's simple. The machine is very thin. When you close the lid, the keycaps can touch the screen. You can only do a few things:

1. Nothing.
2. Clean the screen with a microfiber cloth. The marks are likely just oils from your fingers.
3. Place a keyboard cover on the keyboard before you close the lid. Because the space is so small, only a few are thin enough. Use one that's too thick and it can put stress on the screen hinge. I use one from Radtech. It's made specifically for your model.

https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

Reactions: Apple_Robert

szonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Isn't this factory defect? I don't think keys should touch the screen...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The machines are thin. The keys can easily touch. It’s not a defect.
Don’t subscribe to that at all. At best it’s a poor design.
In the list of features Apple discussed when designing the devices, I can guarantee you, "The keys must touch the keyboard" was not listed a must.
It's a defect, but one they tolerate.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
There is an Apple repair program to replace screen for free in case of delamination. My screen was replaced even though I thought it was just a bad case of marks from keyboard

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
To be honest, I’ve never had this problem with any of the MacBooks I’ve owned.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i think too much pressure can result in this...i just tested all 3 macs on mine again today by pressing a little bit with my hand over the lid and nothing on the screen even in direct light
So my guess is, you had a little too much pressure and that robber on the lid that surrounds the screen cant supp too much pressure, especially if the pressure is right in the centre of the lid (when its closed)
But like others said...use a microfiber

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.