Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
10.8.5 on a used mac mini 6,1 4 core i7. I had been having problems with wifi, but not with bluetooth. Fortunately there was still time on Applecare, so I took the machine to the local Apple Store. After testing they confirmed my observation that wifi was dead and replaced the airport card. Now I am able to connect to my wifi network and am getting strong connections. I'm seeing nominal upload/download speed for my fios internet connection so wifi is completely fixed. My apple wireless mouse and logitec solar keyboard, however, now do not connect. Both had been working fine before he repair. Settings do not seem to have been changed.

How can I get them working? They are showing as configured but not connected and not paired in the system report. The computer has been moved and connected to different wifi in the past but mouse and keyboard have always just connected afterwards. My first thought is to delete them and add again but looking at the advanced pane of bluetooth system preferences I see serial port settings I'm unsure of which perhaps the Apple techs changed. There are three ports listed: Bluetooth-Serial-1, Bluetooth-Serial-2 and Bluetooth-PDA-Sync. All were set to type "Modem". I tried changing ports 1 and 2 to type "RS-232" and restarted but the devices are still not pairing. Can I leave these set to "RS-232"? If I check "OpenBluetooth assistant at startup if no keyboard/mouse is detected" and remove USB devices should I be apple to re-pair them at startup? Should I delete the devices in system prefs first?

Thanks for any insights.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
10.8.5 on a used mac mini 6,1 4 core i7. I had been having problems with wifi, but not with bluetooth. Fortunately there was still time on Applecare, so I took the machine to the local Apple Store. After testing they confirmed my observation that wifi was dead and replaced the airport card. Now I am able to connect to my wifi network and am getting strong connections. I'm seeing nominal upload/download speed for my fios internet connection so wifi is completely fixed. My apple wireless mouse and logitec solar keyboard, however, now do not connect. Both had been working fine before he repair. Settings do not seem to have been changed.

How can I get them working? They are showing as configured but not connected and not paired in the system report. The computer has been moved and connected to different wifi in the past but mouse and keyboard have always just connected afterwards. My first thought is to delete them and add again but looking at the advanced pane of bluetooth system preferences I see serial port settings I'm unsure of which perhaps the Apple techs changed. There are three ports listed: Bluetooth-Serial-1, Bluetooth-Serial-2 and Bluetooth-PDA-Sync. All were set to type "Modem". I tried changing ports 1 and 2 to type "RS-232" and restarted but the devices are still not pairing. Can I leave these set to "RS-232"? If I check "OpenBluetooth assistant at startup if no keyboard/mouse is detected" and remove USB devices should I be apple to re-pair them at startup? Should I delete the devices in system prefs first?

Thanks for any insights.
No! I don't think that you should do or change anything. In fact, I think that you should restore any changes that you made during attempts to solve the Bluetooth problem.

Was your Applecare repair visit recent? That connection problem is probably what health care professionals call a Nosocomial Infection. These common problems are caused by the hospitals and care providers that exist to heal and care for people. According to the information that you have provided, the Apple techs made an error inside of that mini. Think loose antenna lead. :eek:

Take it back to them for diagnosis and repair.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Thanks for reply. I took it back and they straightened things out. Something I learned is that in the minis bluetooth and wifi are on the same card. Looks like bluetooth and USB are also intertwined as well as there is bluetooth usb host controller on the USB bus. I am still noticing a hit in wifi performance when an external usb drive is connected. It is variable though so probably related to variable connection speeds.

Reactions: Celerondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.