Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Hey all,

Interested in hearing from those that have used the keyboard repair program or have otherwise had their butterfly switches repaired through AppleCare. I want to know what issue were you facing and what was your turnaround time for getting it repaired. I rely on my laptop for work everyday and if I have to give it in for any more than 1 day my productivity will be slowed (irritating). I can't seem to find an answer online and it looks like some people are saying you should expect to give your laptop in for 1 week+.

Personally I'm looking at one of my keys repeating/not registered and the other key has broken off (the little switch frame has a broken leg so the keycap does not stay attached to the key mechanism itself). Is there any possibility they can repair such issues in store?

Thanks all, I appreciate any comments.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
told up to 5 but actually 3 business days for me.

Hmm I could live with that. What was your specific issue? Sticky keys? Keys that weren't registering? Keys that broke off?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'll be able to add another data point sometime this week - Apple accepted my '16 MBP15 for keyboard replacement today. They told me 3-5 days.

Reactions: zakarhino

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Expect 3-5 business days. I shipped my '15 Macbook a few weeks ago. Shipped overnight. Repaired the day after it was received and shipped back overnight that same day. So 3 days not including the day I originally shipped it.

I had a partially non-functional space bar and received a new top case.

Reactions: zakarhino

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'll be able to add another data point sometime this week - Apple accepted my '16 MBP15 for keyboard replacement today. They told me 3-5 days.

It looks like 3-5 days has become 5-7 days with the clock starting when the laptop arrived at the repair facility a week ago today. I called Apple this morning and they told me that my laptop would be shipped by Thursday. Unless they overnight the machine to me so that it is delivered Friday, I doubt that I will receive the machine this week (I'll be away from my home all day Saturday), so turnaround time will end up being more than 2 weeks for the repair.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think its dependent on how busy the store is, I can imagine some stores will have a longer turn around time.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I think its dependent on how busy the store is, I can imagine some stores will have a longer turn around time.

As far as I know, the store isn't performing the repair. The store took my laptop on the 4th, and they sent it to a repair facility where it arrived on the 7th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.