Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordy_mc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Hi, before I send my MacBook in to be repaired I want to see if anyone can help.

My mac keyboard and track pad are unresponsive and the USB ports don't work either for external keyboards and such. They supply power but that's it.

The Mac turns on and off and everything else works but that's it.
I tried an smc reset and the mag light changed, leading me to think they keyboard still works but nope, still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas before I take it in to be repaired?

Thanks

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
So what, it boots fine right up until the log in window, where you can't enter your password because the keyboard doesn't work?

Try taking the bottom cover off. Unplug the battery and leave it disconnected for about 30 seconds. Plug in again and reassemble.
Also check that the connectors for both keyboard and trackpad are properly seated on the logic board.

Jordy_mc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
yeah doesn't seem to work at all when it gets to the log in page. The shift lock key doesn't light up when pressed either.

I took the battery out and checked the connections. Still nothing.

Last edited:

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Take it in (if you can pay for it - otherwise just take out the bootdrive and migrate to a new unit), it seems to be just like my PB17 when the USB-system on the unit got fried...
A lot of things are, like you can see, connected to the internal USB-bus so when it dies the whole motherboard needs to be replaced.

Jordy_mc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Bummer, thought as much. Thanks for clearing that one up. I'll look about replacing the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.