Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I just hooked up an external audio interface (firewire) and I can no longer control the volume from the keyboard (typing keyboard). So, basically I need a mixer, right? Or is there something else? Right now, the only way for me to adjust volume is to turn the knob on the back of each speaker or find the particular volume control slider for the program I am using (Quicktime, iTunes, webpages, etc.).

Any suggestions?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The keyboard controls the volume in Mac OS X only, not on devices. So, if the device ignores the sound controls that Mac OS X uses, then they keyboard will never work.

Alternately, if you're using a KVM, most of them don't honor the keyboard->comptuer signal that the volume keys use, so they won't work (same as the eject key, though they DO honor F12).

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Is there something out there that can control the total volume? For example, can I use a Griffin Powermate to control the volume of the system? I want something that is easy to mute or adjust when I am interrupted (phonecall, etc.). I miss the keyboard volume control being in charge of EVERY SOUND coming from my Powermac.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The powermate is essentially a knob that does the same thing as the keyboard volume control.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking for. I'm guessing that your FW device plays sounds independant from OS X? If it plays THROUGH OS X (e.g., through the speakers hooked up to your Mac), then I don't understand why your volume contorl keys aren't working.

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Sorry about the confusion! I have the audio interface hooked up to my Powermac via FW and the speakers are connect to the interface via patch cables.

I just wanted a better sound card than the built-in one Apple provides because the 1/8'' jack for audio is terrible and won't output as stereo - only mono. I wish there were two 1/4'' outputs on the back of my Powermac to hook up to speakers. Then I could control volume with the Apple keyboard. My problems would be solved.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
mintlivedotcom said:
Sorry about the confusion! I have the audio interface hooked up to my Powermac via FW and the speakers are connect to the interface via patch cables.

Ahhh.. I see. No, in that case the keyboard won't work unless there was software for the audio interface that was specifically tailored to honor the keyboard volume control (and therefore the OS X volume control). Seems unlikely.

FWIW, I don't think a mixer will help here either, as you'd still have to use the slider on the mixer to regulate the sound.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you want some flavor of DAW controller. signal flow is like this:

mac -> firewire device -> DAW controller -> monitors

i use the excellent coleman m3ph for that, but that may be more than you want to spend. for a simple but effective volume knob, check out the NHT PVC.

avoid the mackie big knob.

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
yellow said:
Ahhh.. I see. No, in that case the keyboard won't work unless there was software for the audio interface that was specifically tailored to honor the keyboard volume control (and therefore the OS X volume control). Seems unlikely.

FWIW, I don't think a mixer will help here either, as you'd still have to use the slider on the mixer to regulate the sound.

If I had a small mixer, I could use it with my synths AND control the main volume of the speakers. I just wanted to avoid using the mouse to control volume.

Thanks!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
mintlivedotcom said:
If I had a small mixer, I could use it with my synths AND control the main volume of the speakers.
i used to use a mackie 1642 for that. i also had my external preamps plugged into it so i could do headphone mixes.

then i got the coleman and realized HOW MUCH the mackie was distorting my signals, even the one where i used its mains to control my speaker volumes. the mackie's now in a closet.

if i didn't have the coleman, i'd either have the NHT PVC or the A-Designs ATTY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.