Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Right after i unlock the phone, when i quickly swipe between the screens, this bug happens and i see the keyboard words appearing right on the empty screen. It happenes only right after i unlock it? Anyone noticed that, it started to happen only after 11.3

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Right after i unlock the phone, when i quickly swipe between the screens, this bug happens and i see the keyboard words appearing right on the empty screen. It happenes only right after i unlock it? Anyone noticed that, it started to happen only after 11.3
Keyboard words? Do you mean the keyboard appears at the bottom of the screen? What about the rest of the screen?

Are you simply (accidentally) accessing spotlight search with your swiping?

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Can't really explain it, but the device is acting extremly strange ever since i had it factory restored by my carrier for software issues.
You know when you type letters on the kyeboard, the letter itself appears right on top of where you tapped (like to show you which letter you just typed in). When i unlock and swipe between the screens, random letters appear the same way as if i am tapping on the keyboard, but there is no keyboard. They only appear on the lower side of the screen, where the keyboard is supposed to be at the first place. Before it was happening the same with app icons appearing out of nowhere when i am swapping screens. I've read somewhere that this was happening to other users of 11.3. But never heard of the letters appearing that way.
Still havent updated to 11.3.1 yet though./
[doublepost=1524841898][/doublepost]Just did it right now, right after i unlocked the device and swiped between the screen, instead of sliding the keyboard words started to appear, this time i even managed to saw them- K,E, something like that. Its like somehow the device is accessing the keyboard on its own without showing it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can't really explain it, but the device is acting extremly strange ever since i had it factory restored by my carrier for software issues.
You know when you type letters on the kyeboard, the letter itself appears right on top of where you tapped (like to show you which letter you just typed in). When i unlock and swipe between the screens, random letters appear the same way as if i am tapping on the keyboard, but there is no keyboard. They only appear on the lower side of the screen, where the keyboard is supposed to be at the first place. Before it was happening the same with app icons appearing out of nowhere when i am swapping screens. I've read somewhere that this was happening to other users of 11.3. But never heard of the letters appearing that way.
Still havent updated to 11.3.1 yet though./
[doublepost=1524841898][/doublepost]Just did it right now, right after i unlocked the device and swiped between the screen, instead of sliding the keyboard words started to appear, this time i even managed to saw them- K,E, something like that. Its like somehow the device is accessing the keyboard on its own without showing it.
It almost sounds like this is the kind of situation where the screen recording functionality that was introduced in iOS 11 would be handy to show what you are seeing.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
I cant screenshot it because its happening way to fast. I cant try to record it and post it. It happens everytime when i unlock the device. Imidiatelly when i unlock, when i quickly tap on the screen or try to swipe between the screens, the keyboard letters that apear when you are typing a message right on top of the letter you just tapped (try if you have time, you'll notice the letters appear of half a second right on top of then you tap the), they appear on the lower screen, somehow mistakenly beliving that the keyboard is there but it isn't. Its like typing on invisable keyboard. I dont know if that will be fixed when i update to 11.3.1
Sometimes ago, the same was happening (i belive even before i left my device to my provider) but istnead of letters, i was seeing actuall apps (icons), that weren't there when when i tapped on the empty part of the screen they appear is if they are there.
Now its switched to letters.
[doublepost=1524842941][/doublepost]I've used numerous phone by now- never had any problem with my 7 plus, older android phones and so on.
Ever since i got the X in march there are no stop problems- from everytime crash of the Portrait mode camera, to randrom "appear to be restarts", to screen issues (apps and letter magically showing arround), to problems FaceTime and Imessage randomly beings disabled, to complete unresponsivnes of the device when i unlock it in the morning (which was the reason i took it to my carrier for warranty, all they did was factory restore it).
Really dissapointed so far.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I cant screenshot it because its happening way to fast. I cant try to record it and post it. It happens everytime when i unlock the device. Imidiatelly when i unlock, when i quickly tap on the screen or try to swipe between the screens, the keyboard letters that apear when you are typing a message right on top of the letter you just tapped (try if you have time, you'll notice the letters appear of half a second right on top of then you tap the), they appear on the lower screen, somehow mistakenly beliving that the keyboard is there but it isn't. Its like typing on invisable keyboard. I dont know if that will be fixed when i update to 11.3.1
Sometimes ago, the same was happening (i belive even before i left my device to my provider) but istnead of letters, i was seeing actuall apps (icons), that weren't there when when i tapped on the empty part of the screen they appear is if they are there.
Now its switched to letters.
[doublepost=1524842941][/doublepost]I've used numerous phone by now- never had any problem with my 7 plus, older android phones and so on.
Ever since i got the X in march there are no stop problems- from everytime crash of the Portrait mode camera, to randrom "appear to be restarts", to screen issues (apps and letter magically showing arround), to problems FaceTime and Imessage randomly beings disabled, to complete unresponsivnes of the device when i unlock it in the morning (which was the reason i took it to my carrier for warranty, all they did was factory restore it).
Really dissapointed so far.
I understand what you are describing, though I have not experience it at all. I’m curious what exactly your carrier did to factory restore it. You say you left your device with your provider. Who is your carrier and where exactly did you take it (local store?) and how long did they keep it?

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
The things happens only first 1-2 seconds after i unlock the phone if i tap quickly, which makes me think its something to do with the face id and the passcode (since i am using alphanumeric password with words). It seems that somehow, when i quickly unlock the device and start tapping, this invisable keyboard is there from my alphanumeric password wchich is probably active for a second even after i unlock it with face id.

I left it with my carrier that is Telenor Bulgaria (they are the biggest mobilie carrier and the only Apple authorized in the county, since there is no original Apple store here) So since i am very very behind with how softoware restoration works i left it to them to fix the problem. It took a few days, but the reason could be that there are many phones that use their repair center. So the phone has its issues before they returned it to me, and now it have other issuses. I believe its something to do with 11.3, i dont really know, but i haven't experienced so many issues with a phone as long as i remember myself. Very close friend of ours is with the X too complaining about numerous bugs with her screen. In contrary, all my friends that bought 8 and 8 plus have zero issuest to the moment, and my 7 Plus that i now handed to my father have not yet suffered a signle issue. If i knew what was coming i would have wait till XI which will probably fix all those issues with the X, i fell a bit ripped off, especially when my camera starts to crash wihle making photos on portrait mode, alsmost everytime after the second shot (it was doing this before i gave it to the carrier). It feels like i payped 1000$ for some sort of jewellery instead of a phone.
[doublepost=1524867769][/doublepost]I bought the device from Telenor and i have 2 years free warranty with them, all they said was its softoware issues.
[doublepost=1524868001][/doublepost]I left it in the store, from where they sended to their Telenor repair center whcih is Apple authorized, i called apple to verify, and than they returned it to me at the same store i left it and also the same store from where i bought it at the first place. By the way when i bought it i have the feeling that it was unsealed and that resealed again because the package was very strangerly rapped up, i've seen cases whey they open a device to show it to someone, and he changes his mind at the last second they simply reseal it again.
[doublepost=1524868575][/doublepost]One of the reasons i got paranoid that they may have jailbroke the device, which makes no sence, but i see no sence how can it have so many bugs on it, either the phone was defective or compromised, or just extreme amount of bad luck. Other issues include-
Restarting on its own at nights
Face id and imessage deactive them selves from time to time
The portrait camera was carshing before (havent noticed that since the resotre they did)
The phone was freezing dark (havent noticed that since the reostre they did)
Some app bug that was showing for half a seconds app icons that weren't there
The keyboard things.
Sometimes i have trouble opening the Call icon from the first or the second time, it simply remains unresponsive.

Now a few problems that my friend wchich bough X too mentioned, but havent yet experienced
Crashing of siri, freezes as well, crashing of instagram and cnn apps.
[doublepost=1524869590][/doublepost]Changed to PASSCODE inseat alphanumeric password problem dissapeared.

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
I figured out what was causing my magically appearing letters right after i ublock my device with face id. It turns out, since i am using Alphanumeric password instead digit Passcode, when i unlock the device quickly and imidiattly tap ot try to swipe the screen, at the frist second or two the alphanumeric password keyboard somehow remains active on the background even that i unlocked the device. So this little letters appear as if you are typing something on the lower corner at the first few moments. The moment i switched back to digit Passcode the problem dissapears. Just wanted to let you know, figured it out myself on this ;)

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Wow, I'm really sorry you are having so many issues. I don't have an X, so I can't speak to that device specifically. I do know iOS 11 has had it's fair share of bugs, and I want to say that's all that is happening with your device.

However, many of these strange bugs can be resolved with a DFU restore, and then setting up your phone as new, without restoring from a backup (neither iTunes nor iCloud). I highly doubt that a reputable carrier would have a problem with their employees jailbreaking a device as I don't see what's in it for them. I understand the paranoia and frustration though, especially for a device that you paid good money for.

Do you have a personal computer with the current version of iTunes. I would absolutely recommend the DFU restore as stated as this will download current firmware for your iPhone directly from Apple. There are lots of posts here on Macrumors along with many how to articles on how to do this on the internet. The issues you are experiencing (even though switching to a passcode fixed your keyboard letter issue, it's really just a workaround and not a true fix) are not common and it sounds like perhaps you have a somewhat corrupted backup.

Let me know if you do try the DFU restore and how it goes. Best of luck.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I haven't heard of this one yet. Are you sure you aren't accidentally swiping to get into Spotlight Search?

peterlockee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
I am absoultely certain, i've changed to digit passcode and the problem is gone. Try for yourself if you want, switch to alpahanumeric password and create a password with words. Once you unlock with Face id, the moment it unlocks swipe right on left and start tapping on the device you will see the words poping exactly at the place where they are on the unlock keyboard. It happens only at the first second or two. I can make a youtube video of it. I dont know if its something on my device or Ios 11 bug in total. The carrier preformed factory reset through Itunes, as i said there were plenty of bugs before that, after that they are plenty of new bugs. I know that they wont do anything, i just started to freak out how many bugs started to appear in the last week. I even though for a moment that they may have changed parts (probably the screen of the device), but that makes no logic since i bought the device from them alone. As an both Apple and before that andorid user i've never paid that much for a device and never seen so many bugs for a time period of 1 month (i bought it ot 19 march). The 7 plus is on 11.3 and by far there is zero problems, not to pull devils tail. My friends iphone 8 goes strong as well, thank God. I give a friend to make a photo of me with the X and there is a crash. He even started laughing after the 3rd crash.
I never believed i will be dissapointed with Apple, called both Apple and the carrier, you can only dream for replacment or replacment for iphone 8 plus. I am even willing to trade it for 8 at this point.
[doublepost=1524883111][/doublepost]I am told that iphone can only have so many bugs and failures if its jailbroken,
[doublepost=1524883896][/doublepost]I havent restored from back up, they returned it to me totaly wipped, i assume though itunes since i dont see other way, on the warranty it sait "Preinstalled softoware due to software issues and failures)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.