Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I like to have a swipe/flow whatever it's called, option on my keyboards and I'm still you find the best one for my iPhone.

Now they've been lot a while which do people think is best, and why.

Currently I'm using TouchPal, but what I don't like is it always shows capitals, if the shift key is pressed or not. I can't find a theme that has lowercase and uppercase.

Also I prefer not you have "full access" enabled, although they state nothing transmitted etc, is prefer it off so that narrows it down to.

So suggestions, reasons, themes please...

Last edited:

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
I'm using Nintype. It's a little pricy for a keyboard, but you can theme it almost anyway you like to. It's actually quite a bit like touchpal, too.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm using Nintype. It's a little pricy for a keyboard, but you can theme it almost anyway you like to. It's actually quite a bit like touchpal, too.
Don't mind paying at all if it's good TBH, never heard of that one, will look, does it have swipe etc to?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yep. It's one of the few keyboards I can think of that lets you swype with two hands/thumbs.
Ah ok thanks, what about full access, use this required?

Also the bug of the keyboard not appearing, and then having to quit apps to make it appear, is it any better on this one?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Swype. It was the originator of gesture typing on Android.

SwiftKey is also very good.

Those are the only two I use.
I use Swype a lot to. Not sure if it's Swype only but I get a lot of non appearance of it in apps. I think it's more iOS issues, but lately with Swype I've found the word completion is wrong, not sure if its an update or not

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Ah ok thanks, what about full access, use this required?

Also the bug of the keyboard not appearing, and then having to quit apps to make it appear, is it any better on this one?
Full access is optional, but works fine without it.
The bug you're referring to applies to pretty much all 3rd party keyboards. It's the way Apple implemented them with a minimal amount of available memory they can use. Only Apple's keyboard is immune to this.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I really like SwiftKey. I've been using it now for a month or so and it gets better and better. I also discovered that its settings shows you a lot of data on how you type and how its helping you. Well worth the cost. I'm just wondering when they will pick up the new Emojis.

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
I'm using swiftkey as well although stock keyboard is really good as well. As a long-time android user, Swiftkey was almost telepathic. It's not nearly as good on the iOS version but I guess old habits die hard.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
The keyboard thing is a bug in iOS. Its because the app gets killed and instead of waiting for it to load, Apple's keyboard shows up. I like Apple's keyboard, but definitely miss having swipe when I need it. Swiftkey is one I used to use and liked.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Swiftkey needs full access though I believe and also to allow swipe function?

Although they explain the reason why they need full access, other keyboard apps don't need it so it's technically possible.

its so annoying the bugs with the keyboard though wish Apple would help in this regard

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Swiftkey needs full access though I believe and also to allow swipe function?

Although they explain the reason why they need full access, other keyboard apps don't need it so it's technically possible.

its so annoying the bugs with the keyboard though wish Apple would help in this regard

I also tested out Swiftkey but didn't like the full access part of it too. Therefore i decided to go with Swype which doesn't need full access. Although i had to turn it on temporary to download another language (English is standard) which is Dutch and then turn it off again and still use it with swiping. I also switch allot between English and Dutch very easily with this keyboard. I dislike the ugly Swype button on the keyboard to switch to e.g. another keyboard. Other then that it works pretty good on both my iPhone 5s and iPad mini2.

Unfortunately since iOS9 and still with iOS9.1 all third party keyboard seem to stutter/lag when you want them to show. In some cases (e.g. Path Input for iPad) i even had that in some parts like Spotlight search (swipe down) the stutter is major or causes the keyboard not even showing. This was definitely not the case with iOS8.3 and 8.4 versions.

Also check out this 3rd party keyboard topic which i updated quite frequently in the past when iOS8 launched in which i also added which apps need full access and which don't and which apps offer swiping.

The ones that have swiping and can work without full access are:
Swype (except for other languages other then English need temporary full access for download)
Path Input | Path Input for iPad | Path Input+ (iPhone and iPad) (unfortunately haven't been updated since quite a while)
Nintype
TouchPal
| (unfortunately needs full access if your language is other then English)

I would really wish that Apple would come up with a swiping feature in their own keyboard.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Liked swype but not happy on full access to allow swipe/trace keyboard. Others can do without enabling full access so why can't swype?

Still looking...,

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Liked swype but not happy on full access to allow swipe/trace keyboard. Others can do without enabling full access so why can't swype?

Still looking...,

Swype does only need temporary full access to download a language if you prefer to use a language other then English. You can turn it off right after the download of the language and continue with using the app and the downloaded languages without full access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.