Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magikpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
After about the second time that I rebooted my G4 (dp 450 Mhz w/640MB SDRAM) after upgrading to Panther, my computer is unable to find my keychain. It also lost all of my preferences for the Dock, and all of my applications.
This happened the next time that I started up the machine after turning on the File Vault. Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover my settings, my keychains, and all of my recent e-mails?

Richter

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
FL
this same thing is happening to me & only started today. I've had Panther since launch.

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
This is happening to a lot of people. Happened to me. First time in a decade that I was cursing Macs. Lost tons of preferences, my iTunes library, dock stuff, keychain, etc.

I turned FileVault off IMMEDIATELY. Luckily I use .mac Backup every week, so I had a fairly recent Keychain and iTunes library to restore. If I didn't have these, I would have punched my cinema display, thrown my G4 off my balcony, and taken an uzi to apple headquarters.

SO unacceptable that FileVault is doing this. Apple needs to do a software update IMMEDIATELY to disable FileVault while they bloody fix it.

magikpants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
I'm with you!
I was lucky enough with my contacts and caledar, as I had backed up all of that on my palm, and thank god that all of the folders in my "on my mac" in mail were saved, but I ended up losing about 100 e-mails in the whole ordeal just because no one seems to have truly tested the Filevault application.
Oh well!:eek:

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
well if your Keychain is lost, why don't you try looking for it?

and haven't you heard? FileVault is safe, secure and speedy!:D:p

so secure in fact that if you could build a machine that could recover a DES key in a second, it would take that machine approximately 149 trillion years to break the FileVault encryption!! :eek: bet ya didn't know that!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.