Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Dear Forum members

I'm new to mac, I have a macbook Air running on High sierra.

(after some web search), I found that I can save passwords on Mac's native keychain

Is it ok to use keychain on High sierra ? if not ok, what else to use ?

and if it is ok (to use Mac's native Keychain) , what are the do's and don'ts for additional safety while using keychain. I understand that if I loose the MAc or loose my admin PW, a lot would be lost or probably all PW are lost. Other than these (loss of machine etc), what else to take care ?

I have set each password entry to "ask before using" and now I'm manually and painfully setting all to ask admin PW before using specific PW entries

What else ?

Is there some global setting that would stop other apps (any other app) from using the PW entries ? I don't mind being asked every time and being asked to enter the admin PW before use of keychain / PW entry

What else to take care

PS : my keychain is NOT on iCloud. How to ensure that it does NOT get there accidentally

thanks in adv
best regards
Subu

Last edited:

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
I can't answer most of your questions since I have avoided allowing Keychain to memorize all but the most trivial of my passwords. Instead I will give my 2 Cents and ask why have any Keychain passwords on a device that you could lose or have stolen? Everybody says it can't happen but it can. :mad: Same goes for a phone. On an iMac, it might be OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.