Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2023
ok fellas, I need y'all.

I did a clean install of macOS Sonoma & didn't realize I had encrypted The USB. when I plug it in it ask for a password I don't remember it but I remember saving it to keychain. but its not In my iCloud Keychain. I think it was saved to the local keychain which is gone now.

I used Time Machine & brought back (some of the keys) for example right now on my computer I have login.keychain & metadata keychain. but on the keys that I pulled from the Time Machine are called. System.keychain & apsd.keychain. some of the files are the same like system-keychain-2.db-wal.

I forgot my password to the usb but before the factory reset I saved it to the keychain but it only saved locally. I pulled what I could from the Time Machine &

all I need help with is how do I open the keychain from Ventura without merging or corrupting my current one Sonoma. I just need to see what I typed in as the password. but I only have system & apsd keychain for some. reason it didn't have the login & the metadata that was on Ventura btw. I have the Ventura keychain in a folder & honestly am way too afraid to double click it.

if anyone can guide me in baby steps how to do this It would mean a lot. I just need to see what it was called without merging the keychains.

also why does Sonoma have login.keychain & metadata.keychain but not system.keychain & apsd.keychain?

thanks guys I know I should have wrote down the password & I thought I did but ive looked for days & can't find it.

ps. I copied the Sonoma keychains into a folder to help better see the difference. if it helps

Attachments

• Sonona 2.png
    Sonona 2.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Ventura Keychain.png
    Ventura Keychain.png
    45 KB · Views: 33
  • Sonoma Blue Folder.png
    Sonoma Blue Folder.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 34

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
but on the keys that I pulled from the Time Machine are called. System.keychain & apsd.keychain.

also why does Sonoma have login.keychain & metadata.keychain but not system.keychain & apsd.keychain?

I think you got the wrong keychains from your TM backup. At least on my Monterey machine, 'System.keychain' and 'apsd.keychain' normally are located in the /Library/Keychains directory (NOTE that it starts with a '/'). Those are NOT where your password would have been stored.

I think your password would have been saved in 'login.keychain-db' which is located in your USER library directory, so make sure you to to /Users/yourname/Library/Keychains and look there in Time Machine. (I don't know what metadata.keychain-db is for, but it's there too.)

I don't have much experience with Keychain Access.app, but it doesn't have a File->Open menu item. Maybe it would work to rename the backup 'login.keychain-db' to old.keychain-db and put it in your user's Keychain directory (that is, /Users/yourname/Library/Keychains), and open Keychain Access.app and see if it's listed there. Maybe it would be safer to create a new, temporary keychain and import from the backup one.

Hopefully someone else can give some advice on how to open the backup keychain without affecting your existing ones....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.