Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chubbles

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
My home Mac Mini (2011) is setup with an admin and user. I almost never login as admin, do all my stuff as user. As the user I generated an extra KeyChain with a password to unlock it. this is where I store passwords for websites involving $'s. The rest of the time that KeyChain is locked. This worked fine for a long time, but starting about 3 weeks ago I have been having problems with popups the want access to the extra KeyChain. When I wake the mini I get Spotlight wants access, cancel that get iCloudHelper wants access, cancel that, get assistantd wants access cancel that Spotlight wants access, cancel it and I can start doing my stuff. Now I get one of those popups every 30 to 60 seconds. Can't get anything done!

Can anybody help me get back to where I was?

Thanks,
chubbles

prometeus

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I think it can be related to encryption certificate of macOS Sierra... maybe. I don't know. Try to make new keychain with same content. Or use any other solution (1Password).

chubbles

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
prometeus,
I used LastPass for years and didn't touch KeyChain, but about 18 months ago LastPass had big problems and I spent Hours with support tickets and they never could solve the problems so I learned some about KeyChain, and it worked well for over a year and offered a second layer of security. I admit I know nothing about certificates, I only work with passwords and secure notes.

Your suggestion to create another KeyChain is one I'm thinking about trying.

Thanks
chubbles

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.