Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I always have this issue that when I sign up on a platform (online shop for example) and iOS or macOS suggests me a secure long password and I pick it, it does not actually save it to the keychain because I do not get the prompt asking me to save the password afterwards. For some reason it does not happen on every page. Any suggestion? At times I end up with a password suggested by iOS that I do not know and need to reset the password.

Its also kind of annoying because I would like to use this password suggest feature but since I am not sure if I am actually being asked to save it to the keychain, I end up just using a pretty "insecure" password to be sure I know it ...

Reactions: DblHelix

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have had the same thing happen to me in the past. I no longer use keychain in that way.

1) Get a password manager app (Strongbox and Bitwarden are free and excellent apps).

2) When you are on a site where you want to save the password, open the password manager, create a new log (name x) and allow the app to generate a password for you. When it does, save that newly created login and then copy that password into the site. That way you have access to the password and you don't have to worry about it not being secure. The next time you visit the site, click on passwords and use the password manager to automatically enter your information for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: cupcakes2000

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
100% agree. Use strongbox or bitwarden as a ‘main vault’. Here you can make the passwords and do the whole thing yourself, and still have the passwords saved in iCloud Keychain if you wish. But this way you’re in control.

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I always have this issue that when I sign up on a platform (online shop for example) and iOS or macOS suggests me a secure long password and I pick it, it does not actually save it to the keychain because I do not get the prompt asking me to save the password afterwards. For some reason it does not happen on every page. Any suggestion? At times I end up with a password suggested by iOS that I do not know and need to reset the password.

Its also kind of annoying because I would like to use this password suggest feature but since I am not sure if I am actually being asked to save it to the keychain, I end up just using a pretty "insecure" password to be sure I know it ...
I've experienced the same, and the I've been able to "force" keychain to save the password by logging out of the website immediately after changing the password; at that point keychain prompts if you want to save the password.

It doesn't happen in all websites so it's not deal breaker for me. I trust keychain and I rather using it that any other third party password manager.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Because of all the issues I have starting thinking about using last pass or 1password again

goet36

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
Athens, GR
Agreed that Keychain is unreliable on Safari and it doesn’t always save “suggested strong passwords”. But no one is talking about suggestions appearing. In apps while signing up or for instance in a pop up url while logging in or resetting an app password. I got locked out of my Google account coz their Authenticator app sucks and while resetting in app (Google Authenticator) I saved the keychain suggested pass but even if it supposedly saved the details the way it did makes it impossible to find. I noticed that app saved passes in keychain are saved like ip adresses 10.0…etc or locahost. … or page link. … and since search is only based on url name, it’s kinda impossible to find the last saved entry unless you have around 10 passwords and check every entry manually the last time it was created or modified. Already a 1password subscriber for a year now but after lastpass’s recent data breach I feel stressed using online passwords manager. Somehow Keychain felt totally safe besides the flaws…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.