Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Hey everyone,

Just got a brand new MBP with Monterey preloaded. Roamed around the system a little bit and discovered some weird password in Keychain including many that seemed to be Bluetooth related... I have absolutely no idea what they are, bluetooth is always off and even if I tried deleting them, they always come back. Here are some screenshots for a better understanding.

It looks like they belong to the System keychain and all show some different accounts. For instance, below: CT TEK BUFF V2 LEN. Other accounts include Cloud Public Key Root, CT TKPeriod, Cloud Master Key Root and so on.....

Should I be worried about these ? I have absolutely no other password saved in Keychain other than my Wifi pass otherwise.

Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-22 à 21.13.34.png
Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-22 à 21.15.19.png

Thank you for your inputs !

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just looked in my chain and I have some of those as well. I am guessing that that is normal behavior with the Mac is communicating or connecting to another Apple device in proximity?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 9.31.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 9.31.24 PM.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 332

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
It’s normal. Or at least should be. My keychain is also full of out-the-box entries like these.
The keychain app isn’t really a great tool for normal people and can be overwhelming.

Reactions: ignatius345

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I just looked in my chain and I have some of those as well. I am guessing that that is normal behavior with the Mac is communicating or connecting to another Apple device in proximity?
In my case, I don't have any other device in proximity....bluetooth is even turned off all the time on my MBP and iPhone.

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
These are nothing to worry about and are the standard stores of security keys for your wireless connections.
Your machine will have the keys even if you have bluetooth off as they are the keys that your machine would use if it connected to another device

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's not great this is the way it is, but yeah, keychain access isn't for the lay person (or the tech savvy person, tbh).

You can view the Passwords in the System settings menu now, so that's good.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
It's not great this is the way it is, but yeah, keychain access isn't for the lay person (or the tech savvy person, tbh).

You can view the Passwords in the System settings menu now, so that's good.
Yeah, but if you want to view secure notes, you need to use Keychain Access. That's the only way to create/access secure notes, even ones synced across iCloud. And, the Mac is the only way to view them.

Hoping Apple will create a new Passwords application for the Mac and iOS/iPadOS eventually, which incorporates secure notes, similar to 1Password.

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
Yeah, but if you want to view secure notes, you need to use Keychain Access. That's the only way to create/access secure notes, even ones synced across iCloud. And, the Mac is the only way to view them.

Hoping Apple will create a new Passwords application for the Mac and iOS/iPadOS eventually, which incorporates secure notes, similar to 1Password.
Latest version appears to add notes so hopefully addresses some of the functionality gap

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Latest version appears to add notes so hopefully addresses some of the functionality gap
It does! Am excited about that. If they would add in attachment capabilities, like 1Password does, we'd be all set and it'd be a viable replacement. Still, definitely a good addition!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.