Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Reactions: kgphotos

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I just ordered this Keyboard, The Q12 QMK Custom. I like the layout of the "southpaw" version It is compact. While I have always used a right handed number pad switching to the left hand is not going to be difficult. I use the number keys at the top of the keyboard as much as I use the number pad. I got it with Red switches, which hardly matters as I have a couple of boxes of unused switchs on hand that I purchased and got to lazy to install. It isn't Bluetooth either. I am presently running my K10 wired. The RGB light just eats up the battery too fast. As they say the mouse has more room on the right side.
'
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 12.55.06.png

Last edited:

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
I have this set on my Q12. It's really nice. The legends are dye-sub, just FYI, and not double-shot. In case that matters to you. But it seems to be a quality dye-sub job, though.
When did you get it? I’ve been checking daily and I even signed up to be notified when it’s back in stock… was hoping to snag it during the sale.

I wonder if they are going to stock it again.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
When did you get it? I’ve been checking daily and I even signed up to be notified when it’s back in stock… was hoping to snag it during the sale.

I wonder if they are going to stock it again.
Just ordered it a couple of hours ago. They didn't say it was out of stock.

Just realized you were not talking about my Keyboard. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
I’ve had it about a year.
Wow. Well I’m still going to hope that they stock it again. I thought this was a new keycap set as I don’t believe I came across it when I got my K10 Pro in the fall. If I had seen it, I know I would have got it.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I have a Keychron K5SE that I like a ton. Unfortunately some of the keycaps are starting to wear thru - can see light where it should be "paint". Guessing this is because they are shine thru.

Keychron has limited options on new caps for this keyboard - just a set of black double shot that are annoyingly costly when shipping is included.

What's the absolute best quality low-profile mechanical keyboard? I'm thinking I'd rather just pony up for top notch than buy caps for this one.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a Keychron K5SE that I like a ton. Unfortunately some of the keycaps are starting to wear thru - can see light where it should be "paint". Guessing this is because they are shine thru.

Keychron has limited options on new caps for this keyboard - just a set of black double shot that are annoyingly costly when shipping is included.

What's the absolute best quality low-profile mechanical keyboard? I'm thinking I'd rather just pony up for top notch than buy caps for this one.
Theoretically you can replace the keycaps, but the keys with stabilizers have a non-standard layout on the original low-profile K series, so you're basically stuck ordering them from Keychron.

If you really need to stick with low-profile (which has far more limited customizability), then consider Nuphy keyboards.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
After agonising over the Mode Sonnet configurator for weeks, I decided to just get another Q1 Pro. I absolutely love the feel, layout and features of this board. It didn't make sense forcing myself to get something different just for the sake of it. Ultimately, I couldn't get past the fact that the Sonnet needs to be plugged in. All my peripherals are wireless and I like it that way. Very excited for my next build!

Reactions: xraydoc

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
I just ordered this Keyboard, The Q12 QMK Custom. I like the layout of the "southpaw" version It is compact. While I have always used a right handed number pad switching to the left hand is not going to be difficult. I use the number keys at the top of the keyboard as much as I use the number pad. I got it with Red switches, which hardly matters as I have a couple of boxes of unused switchs on hand that I purchased and got to lazy to install. It isn't Bluetooth either. I am presently running my K10 wired. The RGB light just eats up the battery too fast. As they say the mouse has more room on the right side.
' View attachment 2326139
I would consider a wireless version. Though I don't mind having my keyboard plugged in most of the time, there are times I need to use all 3 USB-C ports on my MBP and the keyboard at the same time. A hub isn't an option because I use the full bandwidth on 2 of the ports at all times. I suppose I can use a hub on the third port, but I prefer to just unplug the keyboard from it and use BT when I need the third port for something else for a few minutes. It's not that there isn't an alternative solution so much as having a preferred workflow that I'm used to and don't want to change.

Edit: Also on a rare occasion I will use the other BT connections for my iPad or iPhone, and that I cannot do with a wired keyboard at all.

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I will still have the K10 and its BT handy but with USB "C" on both sides of the cable it make it so easy to have a hard wired key board. I will stay with the BT Logitech trackball. Another consideration is I have an excuse for getting a wireless Q series KeyChron in the future. :D

Reactions: Lyoha

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The Q12 QMK Custom, I have at last achieved keyboard narvana. I had thoughts of using a forklift to get this truly heavy duty keyboard on to the desk. The left hand number pad will not take long to get used to. It occurred to me that I used to use a desktop adding machine with my left hand. Just some minor getting used to the keyboard positioning is a issue right now but that is going away real quick as well. I am having to make sure the index fingers on my hands are resting on their home keys. I really like how the RGB lighting works the lights are directly angled so they are clearly visible to your eyes. I was running the K10 keyboard wired so it was just a matter of plugging the Q12 in and going through the quick setup and I was up and running. Just my trackball remains wireless.

IMG_8661.jpeg

Last edited:

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
It looks like maybe to customize the keyboard… like maybe to change out the plates, gaskets, etc. I have the K10 Pro and mine came with a couple of keycap pullers.

Nice keyboard there. I love the lights on mine too. Easy to see as you said. And those keycap colors are sweet.

Reactions: transmaster

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
The Q12 QMK Custom, I have at last achieved keyboard narvana. I had thoughts of using a forklift to get this truly heavy duty keyboard on to the desk. The left hand number pad will not take long to get used to. It occurred to me that I used to use a desktop adding machine with my left hand. Just some minor getting used to the keyboard positioning is a issue right now but that is going away real quick as well. I am having to make sure the index fingers on my hands are resting on their home keys. I really like how the RGB lighting works the lights are directly angled so they are clearly visible to your eyes. I was running the K10 keyboard wired so it was just a matter of plugging the Q12 in and going through the quick setup and I was up and running. Just my trackball remains wireless.

View attachment 2332094
Which wireless trackball are you using?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
One of the things I like about this Q12 if the user definable control knob. This is the one things i missed from the other wise hunk of junk DAS keyboard. I notice this keyboard is about 1 inch shorter on the long side from the K12. lt just keeps getting better.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Now I am remembering why I replaced the Gateron Reds on the K10. I am used to a bit more down force. But this time i am going to get a couple of samplers so I can try before I buy.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.