Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throwaway2346726

Cancelled
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Hello,

I've recently learned that a stalker has stolen my spare key and has had access to my iMac while I was away from home. I believe she installed a keylogger on my iMac. My question is: if the keylogger had used my camera, would the green light have turned on, even when taking a quick photo? Are there any known keyloggers out there that can bypass that green light when either live streaming or recording video, and would taking a quick photo even activate it?

Thanks.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Either Mojave or Catalina when keylogger was possibly installed

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's doubtful that anyone installed a key logger on your iMac. To do so, she would have had to have to known the account credentials of an administrative account on your machine.

The green light on your Mac cannot be disabled. If the camera is on, the light is on.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Ever try to install something on your Mac? Notice how it asks you for your password? Anytime anything wants to have access to your computer, they'd have to know your password. For example:

Settings --> Security & Privacy:

1620395108038.png

Shadow is a cloud service that allows me to install drivers to monitor my keyboard/mouse so I have better keyboard/mouse experiences while using a remote computer. To do this, I need my Admin password. There is no way to install this without my admin password.

So... point? They'd need your password before being able to install a key logger. Go ahead and check the Input Monitoring part of settings - see if anything there isn't something you recognize (you can provide a screenshot for us and we can tell you).

Reactions: throwaway2346726
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.