Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Is there a consumer "gray key" service where I can send my iPad to be unlocked or any GitHub repos that have exploits to unlock a device that is NOT updated to the latest OS? My kids locked me out of an iPad. I don't think there's anything critical on there except photos, but given all the security holes out there with previous iOS versions there must be something a consumer can use to unlock a device.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Even the FBI have spend tens of thousands of dollars to get into locked devices, so no there are no exploits a consumer can use.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Put the device into DFU mode then restore through iTunes. Next time keep your iPad out of your kids’ reach. ;)

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Is there a consumer "gray key" service where I can send my iPad to be unlocked or any GitHub repos that have exploits to unlock a device that is NOT updated to the latest OS? My kids locked me out of an iPad. I don't think there's anything critical on there except photos, but given all the security holes out there with previous iOS versions there must be something a consumer can use to unlock a device.
Perhaps the kids would leave it alone if the had their own tablets.
I have seen cheap Android kids tablets cheap on the internet and many with bumper cases included. I have also seen older cheaper iPads.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yep... always put your own administrative account and locks in place before ever handing anything to a kid.

My nephew plays that game. Takes over the iPads and locks everyone out by setting it up as his and locking it.

I remind his mother that minors don’t legally own anything. And that his behaviors are easy to curb by taking the devices away (activities that are inappropriate).

He locks them up so he thinks nobody knows what he’s doing. We’ve blocked his devices on the home router, and he’ll just do a factory reset (with the button on the router) to screw it up.

The problem could be curbed by simply taking devices away. And locking any technology in the house. Not that it would stop him doing it at friends houses (which could be stopped too if you go to extremes).

Today’s generation and technology and sense of entitlement. But....

Yeah... any device in a house with children should be configured with adult administrative locks. And the children may be permitted to use them in a locked down state for purposes that are approved by the morals by which the house is governed, or at the very least within the laws of the government.

Kids lock down the devices so that they can do things that are very questionable a lot of times.

I don’t advocate “spying”... but in a healthy environment, there is only so much need for privacy. If I don’t have reason to question your behavior, you’ll probably go unchecked.

If I start hearing about a minor sending naked pictures, yes the device will be lost. The child has no entitlement. They own nothing. They have privileges to use things (which we may elect to let them treat as their own) as we guide them to adulthood. And privileges come with responsibility if they want to keep those privileges.

But legally, a child cannot enter into a contract. And therefore legally any purchase is their guardians. A seller cannot enter contract with a minor (and if they do, the guardian can reverse that contract).

So if you’re having trouble with your children locking a device to prevent your access or use of your property, set it up so that you are the administrative authority on that device before handing it to them.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
If you’ve been backing it up to a computer already, you can still connect it to that same computer and update the backup.
I’m not sure if settings or versions all allow, but there are some conditions where connecting it to that same computer can enable you to reset the passcode without resetting the device as well. But failing that, if you’ve backed it up to the computer, you can restore it and transfer the backup back on and that process will enable you to get all the contents back and reset the passcode in the process. The requirements for this to work are that you’ve backed it up to that computer in the past and that you know the Apple ID email and password that the iPad is registered to.

The iPad can also continue to backup to iCloud if it is locked, on wifi and on the charger. If that has been your default backup method, then you can connect it to power and let it do its backup before resetting it and restoring it via iCloud.

So if you’ve been backing up your iPad until now, your contents should be recoverable, but the iPad may require a restore if connecting it to a known computer doesn’t allow a passcode reset.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
you sound old ^^

Lol.

I’ve seen enough to see through the bs.

I’m all for respecting privacy. But I don’t believe in the fear to instill values that seems to rule today’s generation.

Everyone preaches against monitoring the children and checking up on them and looking at their devices.

Then when the kids get into trouble, the same people say the parents should have been more active.

I’m watching it play out right now with a kid I know who’s now gotten himself into such a mess that no detention center in the state will take him because he’s too much of a handful.

And yet the powers that be tied his parents hands and gave him the freedom to become what he is.

Now he’s a drain on the juvenile justice system who is trying to find a place for him because the juvenile detention center can’t handle him.

Teach kids that they can walk all over you, and they will.

Teach kids that they have freedom and entitlement, and they’ll take it.

Try to rein them in later?? Forget it.

They’re now destined for a future of self destruction. They’ve got a life of prison ahead, unless they get themselves killed first.

I’m this kids situation, even the detention centers can’t handle him. So he’s out of options. But he still thinks he’s entitled. So down he’ll go.

With me, he’s “yes, sir”... but unfortunately I can’t take him in. I could if it were only me in consideration. But I have to consider other factors.

But he responds to me, because I present as an unmovable force. There is one way. My way.

But, even in detention, their hands are tied by rules that give him power. Which he uses to his full benefit. And they’re afraid of him.

But, I come from a rougher generation and I grew up facing down guns. There isn’t a threat he can make that I’ll back down from. Unlike others, that are afraid he’ll kill them.

Unfortunately today’s generation is basically spineless and afraid to do anything for fear of being reported. But in this child’s case, the justice system wouldn’t dare step in, because right now they will do anything to get him out of their custody. But... he is a product that they made by tying the hands of his parents.

If I lived alone 100% of the time, I’d take him in. But I don’t. And that’s where the danger is. I have to consider the safety of others. My own safety I’d sacrifice for the chance to turn him back around. But I won’t sacrifice someone else’s safety for him.

I’ve seen enough, I’ve watched the rules change, and I’ve seen the results.

This kid is not a minority. Kids like him are becoming the norm.

Some rebellion is normal. But, there still needs to be an accounting.

I have taught my own children defiance. But, I also taught them that there is a time and place. It’s not about just getting your way. It’s questioning authority when authorities are wrong. And I will back them 100% when they are defiant for the right reasons. But they know I will stomp down hard when it’s not on moral ground.

There’s a balance to teach. Respect authority. But do not fear it. Be strong enough to take on authority when the authority is wrong. And I’ve shown them that first hand. I’ve risked my freedom several times for their benefit. They’re healthy and alive today because I was willing to face life in prison to rise against authority on my own with no backing, and I fought for them, and did whatever it took to protect them.

I teach them to never bow down. But I also teach them absolute respect. Respect authority. But question authority. And rise when it’s called for. But never disrespect solely because you feel entitled to do whatever you want. That absolutely won’t fly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Closing down this thread

OP, if its your own iPad and you can produce proof of ownership to apple (receipt) then they may unlock it for you. Discussing how to circumvent the iCloud lock usually causes threads to devolve into bickering, accusations of theft and other issues. Since there is no way to get around the iCloud lock as Apple has designed it, there's no reason to keep this open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.