Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
IMG_1856.jpeg
Apple’s latest entry into the AR/VR space had me seriously thinking… What if the VisionPro replaces everything else?

VisionPro is showcased as a laptop you wear and enter into a device you don’t look at but “look through.”

Imagine the devices in the image below - if VisionPro could replace all these devices and is comfortable for long term use. Yes, please. Just give me an Apple Watch, AirPods, and the Vision Pro. I need nothing else. No more screens… no more iPad… no more phone… no more labtop… no more HDR display’s no more color calibration scopes… just me and an AR screen.

Then, when I want to disconnect - just take the headset off and walk away. It’s not an iPhone that I’m obligated by some social pact to carry with me and respond with in just a few minutes. Instead it’s a powerhouse (assuming the extra AR/VR calculations don’t pull down the chip - that’s why there are 2 right?) MacBook Pro in your head.

To me, Apple Watch answers instant notifications and calls can be privately answered using AirPods… save me some money and transition to just 2 screens as opposed to… how many do I have here?

Think about it - could you see a world (much like we do now) where people are seeing the world through these lenses everywhere and the iPhone screen time is replaced by a powerhouse of system. Of course… that’s a lot more screen time and the effects of VR screens on eyes… well… let’s just say we don’t know how this system will be during long term use.

Having experiencing a VR headset and being instantly mortified that I couldn’t do AR but by a black and white fist screen… there are great enhancements to the VR experience that Apple is proposing. Meta + Microsoft have tried entering with these promises but what if Apple pulls it off?

Also… I have a technology addiction. Someone save me.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Most people don’t want to walk around with goggles on their head all day. People also like to sit down for work or entertainment, meaning they’re in a fixed position anyway (not walking around) and then might as well use a regular screen for that, with the benefit of having their head unencumbered and their surroundings not mediated via cameras, but directly experienced, and being able to express their face directly to other people that are around. Imagine an office or a living room where everyone is sitting around with VR goggles on. People will find that creepy.

Reactions: jumpcutking

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I figure it more annoying like when someone watches and films a concert through their phone. However, having so many screens to see all of my apps as I multitask. That’s any hard working creative’s wet dream.

Also… clean the clutter off my desk please. Just me, a few notes, and the world of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.