Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Curious what kind of applications people would like to see that don't already exist? Nothing extreme like some 3D shooter or anything, more utility like applications. You could include an extension to existing (like iPhotoToGallery) applications or just new stuff.

Consider it the killer app list. This may give developers here an idea to what people want.

I would love to see:

a port of DVDShrink (rip and compress DVD backups)

Feel free to post your app requests here.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
SilentPanda said:
Doesn't DVD2OneX do this? I'm not familiar with DVDShrink I guess. But it sounds like they do the same thing.

Pretty much achieve the same thing, excpet DVDShrink is freeware and DVD2One is $.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
munkle said:
Pretty much achieve the same thing, excpet DVDShrink is freeware and DVD2One is $.

And DVD2One wont rip. You need to use two programs to accomplish what one superb program (for PC ) can do. :(

With that said...Lets stay on track here...just post what you would love to see. There are hundreds of other threads about backing up DVDs.

dross

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2004
Bethesda, MD
I would love to have Auto CAD. I know there are substutes but that is the one I use and my sole reason for still owning a wintel machine.

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
How about something like DVDprofiler with DVD player app integration. It should have IMDB lookup, downloads all details and cover art, exports to html, and can play the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD player from within the program. Of course you would have to rip the DVD to the hard drive first and find the file path afterwards from with the program. I think it would be cool to be able to play your DVD library from within your database. It would be even cooler if you could play them from the webpage of the html export.

DVD Cache is a good database program but doesn't have DVD app integration. There is another DVD database program that does have DVD app integration, but doesn't have html export.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Man ask people what they want, and they ask for the moon! :eek:

My goal was to provide developers with ideas what people want. You know little apps that make lives a little bit easier. I understand that there are several BIG applications that everyone wants, but lets keep the scope down to something that one or two developers could put together in an acceptable timeframe.

SlyRobber

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2004
AppleTVR

I would like to have a 20 inch iMac working as one of those expensive home media touch screen remote controls, but more interactive. Being able to see a preview of the next channel in a window on the desktop or the recording of a show a la TiVo, the possibilities makes my head spin. Then the Mac would really be the center of my digital world, and look and be so cool on my coffee table.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'd like to see an application that creates the PHP code for you when designing pages where its a gallery but it stores the information in a database to get it (and you can change it where needed). And it creates all of the PHP files that you would use and if you add more, it would add more pages. Example:
I have 2000 pictures in various categories. I put them into specific categories, based on what they are. I use the program to make the web page and to load them (and when they click on them it shows the full image in another window). I click next and there's the next batch of pictures there.

Wait... is there already a program out there that I don't know about?

Also I'd like a freeware program that is very similar in function to Photoshop.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
slooksterPSV said:
Also I'd like a freeware program that is very similar in function to Photoshop.

The GIMP. It's missing a few features but it's as close as your going to get for a while. You need X11 to run it, but it really is pretty good.

Get the .app wrapped version here

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
RAS admin said:
How about something like DVDprofiler with DVD player app integration. It should have IMDB lookup, downloads all details and cover art, exports to html, and can play the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD player from within the program. Of course you would have to rip the DVD to the hard drive first and find the file path afterwards from with the program. I think it would be cool to be able to play your DVD library from within your database. It would be even cooler if you could play them from the webpage of the html export.

DVD Cache is a good database program but doesn't have DVD app integration. There is another DVD database program that does have DVD app integration, but doesn't have html export.

I second that. I used DVD Profiler a lot when I used a PC. Nice app.

Besides that most of the stuff I'd like to have is within the OS, so not very applicable.

Not to warm it up in this thread but as soon as Automator comes out with Tiger there's a big chance that you can connect the ENTIRE dvd copy process, even if it uses 3 steps. We'll see, but this would basically eliminate the need for one single app.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i was going to write it, but if someone else did it first that'd be cool (since i'm lazy)

basically it would check for updates on web pages. what makes it special is it checks only within the context of code you select. like when an comic is updated, i want to know when the image changes, but not when the blog changes, etc... or dynamic pages with some static content...

NarKEd

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
I know! I know!
one application that when you open it it displays the message: Hello world :p hehehe

Damn! I always have ideas of little apps that would be ultracool but I dont know why right now I cant think of any.. well If I think of soemthing Ill post it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.