Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Have mine in hand. Gorgeous. If anybody wants my critique, pm me.

I had really hoped that the Mini would have been announced this week. Now, with the outrageously expensive price of the iPod Touch, I have no hope that a Mini will even be in an affordable range. Nothing replaces my new iPad, but I have need of a smaller tablet as well.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I had really hoped that the Mini would have been announced this week. Now, with the outrageously expensive price of the iPod Touch, I have no hope that a Mini will even be in an affordable range. Nothing replaces my new iPad, but I have need of a smaller tablet as well.

Post up your review here. I would like to hear what you think of it. :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Awesome :cool:

Hey answer me this? Which one did you get, 16 or 32GB? Can you check to see what the partition for apps is set at. :)

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Ok :). I didn't want to go off topic and I really love my idevices but will not pay premium $$$ for a 7" device from Apple.

I got the 16gb. It has 12.63gb overall available. I've not loaded any apps, just some of my Kindle books. Currently has 12.22gb available. I will mainly use the Kindle to stream movies and read books, email, magazines and social media. I have Prime. All of my game apps will remain on my iPad.

The good:

It is solidly built and the increased size fits the hand perfectly. It looks and feels great.

The HD screen is stunning in its clarity. Colors just pop! It is "retina" quality. Pixels aren't discernible at all! Really truly gorgeous!

The anti glare screen is really nice. I didn't think I would like it so am happily pleased.

Movies stream over wifi with any buffering whatsoever. Really really great, can't say enough good things!

Internet is fast. Things in the cloud download fast. I haven't seen any lag at all in the 4 hours I have used it.

Keyboard is nice! I like the spacing of the keys, easy to use.

HDMI out!! That is fantastic for movies on the HDTV.

Sound is awesome. You can tell it is Dolby quality.

I saw one ad on the boot up screen for a book. Gone the instant I went to Home page. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

The kinda bad:

On the right hand side are the headphone plug, and the sound and power buttons. I guess there were complaints from previous KF owners that the buttons protruded too much. Well this time they are so flush under the edge that it is impossible to see them. Just have to find them by feel.

While watching movies, screen can't be resized like it can in the Amazon video app for iPad. 2.35 aspect ratio movies are pretty small. I really hope they will change that.

I MISS THE HOME BUTTON :). I keep punching the bottom bezel lol.

If I have any further thoughts as the days go by, I will update.

Really feel comfortable with my decision and highly recommend!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
So the disk space isn't partitioned? :)

I had the original Kindle Fire and it had 1.1GB for apps only and 5.2GB for movies/music/podcasts.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Hmmm where do I find partition info? I looked and couldn't find it.

On the original KF it was under settings --> device.

The KF-HD is running Ice Cream Sandwich. Try settings --> storage.

And thanks for checking. :)

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Ah they moved the thread lol. Hope you find this!

I checked under settings/device/storage and all it shows are the numbers that I gave above, and the apps that came pre-installed.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Ah they moved the thread lol. Hope you find this!

I checked under settings/device/storage and all it shows are the numbers that I gave above, and the apps that came pre-installed.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks OP for checking for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.