Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hey all!

A lot of 3rd party cases don't have a good way to protect the Apple Vision Pro lenses. Many have purchased the KIWI Design Lens Protector which was designed for other VR headsets. I thought I'd make a review to see how well it fits on the Apple Vision Pro.

Here are some of the key highlights:

- The KIWI lens protector feels like a softer mouse or keyboard wrist pad.
- It fits perfectly in the Apple Vision Pro. If you have the Zeiss lens inserts in there, then there is little to no gap between the lens protector and the Zeiss lenses. Without the Zeiss lenses, there is going to be a gap, so make sure you don't have any small objects tumbling around in your case because it can get in between that space and damage the lenses.
- I shook the Vision Pro with the lens protector on pretty good and not only did it stay in place, my Zeiss lenses stayed in place as well.
- If you are using a 3rd party case, then this product or something like it is a MUST BUY. Most 3rd party cases don't have a lens protection shield like the official Apple case. Some cases come up with a thin suction cup lens protector like the EUCARLOS hard carry case, but I feel like this provides more protection.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks for sharing, I initially had problems with mine falling out easily but I was trying to lay it in flat. Angled in, one side at a time, did the trick.

btw, I laughed when I recognized the objects you threw in the case, camera lens covers lol.

Reactions: MR1324

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for sharing, I initially had problems with mine falling out easily but I was trying to lay it in flat. Angled in, one side at a time, did the trick.

btw, I laughed when I recognized the objects you threw in the case, camera lens covers lol.

Strange! I laid mine in flat and it seems to stay in place despite some significant shake tests.

Lol with the camera lens covers. It was the closest thing within reach and probably not the best example, but hopefully people get the point.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Lol with the camera lens covers. It was the closest thing within reach and probably not the best example, but hopefully people get the point.

Your point was well made, and being a Sony mirrorless owner myself the lens caps just established your cred for me

Reactions: MR1324

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Your point was well made, and being a Sony mirrorless owner myself the lens caps just established your cred for me

Good eye! Especially since the lens caps were flipped and the Sony logo wasn't visible hah. The top down shot is actually being filmed on a Sony ZV-1 M2 and I use a Sony ZV-E1 for talking head shots and B roll.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Strange! I laid mine in flat and it seems to stay in place despite some significant shake tests.

actually watch your video.. lol.. you do insert one end first, then push down on the other end to get it in right. :) thats where I got the idea!
Good eye! Especially since the lens caps were flipped and the Sony logo wasn't visible hah. The top down shot is actually being filmed on a Sony ZV-1 M2 and I use a Sony ZV-E1 for talking head shots and B roll.

at the end of the video when you put in the accessory bag you can see the lens caps in the upper left with the Sony name visible. I think the other cap is third party :)

I use a Sony A7 RV. But I have been thinking of getting something smaller for travel. do you like the ZV line?

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
actually watch your video.. lol.. you do insert one end first, then push down on the other end to get it in right. :) thats where I got the idea!

at the end of the video when you put in the accessory bag you can see the lens caps in the upper left with the Sony name visible. I think the other cap is third party :)

I use a Sony A7 RV. But I have been thinking of getting something smaller for travel. do you like the ZV line?

ah ic what you mean now and also reread your post. yes, I think that is the best way to insert the KIWI protector. I don't think it will even go in unless you start from one end.

I love the Sony ZV lineup! They did a great job of designing the ZV cameras to be user friendly with content creators. I think the ZV-E1 is one of the smallest interchangeable lens cameras out there and would be great for travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.