Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

knockout_300.png

William Powers created a DHTML version of Nintendo game Punch Out! His version is called Knock Out! and allows you to punch by tapping the screen.

Instructions

- Throw uppercuts to the face or jabs to the stomach by tapping the screen.
- Dodge left or right by tapping the lower left/right corners of the screen.

Tips:

- Tap screen *slowly* if you get knocked out. (One of the limitations of DHTML is its response time.)
- Punch opponent directly after he takes a swing to get a stun punch.

Article Link

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
eh... cool, but I really dont' like the fact you cant see yourself, I have no idea what the character is doing.

Also, has anyone figured out if you can disable scrolling/zooming? This seems to be what keeps me from having fun with many iphone games.

edit: I played it 5 times on my iphone got tko'd every time, played it once in firefox and I knocked him out without getting hit once.

chrissurra

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2005
Its almost impossible to play as safari keeps trying to zoom, one you click in the bottom corner to dodge the punch the page scrolls down.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
eh... cool, but I really dont' like the fact you cant see yourself, I have no idea what the character is doing.

Also, has anyone figured out if you can disable scrolling/zooming? This seems to be what keeps me from having fun with many iphone games.

edit: I played it 5 times on my iphone got tko'd every time, played it once in firefox and I knocked him out without getting hit once.

Its almost impossible to play as safari keeps trying to zoom, one you click in the bottom corner to dodge the punch the page scrolls down.

It is nice, shows potential, but completely impractical on the phone (so far) because of these issues. Mainly scrolling.

One minor solution would be to decrease the size of the game to no bigger than the size of the iPhone screen, including the address and menu bar. That way, if you do scroll a little, the screen will still snap back into place. Take google.com. When it's not zoomed in, the entire page is smaller than the screen. No matter which way you flick the screen, it always comes back to center. I'm not sure how this could be completely worked out without messing with the inner workings of Safari.

I like the broken glass effect. While not pretty, the blacked out boxes that show up when you touch the screen at least show you the area of effect. I also agree that a seeing our character would help, especially with dodging. Except for King Hippo, I don't think that Little Mac's (an appropriate name) head ever covers the opponents stomach in the NES version. Once we can KO Glass Joe on the phone, I think we're good to go. Can't wait for sound support. Good job for an initial release.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
TKO! You win! Rematch?

So much for Mike Tyson. After a few more tries and not being at work, I won. The zoom doesn't seem to be an issue, as the page doesn't let me zoom in or out, other than the psych-out zoom. I know Will's proud of his work, but if he can just remove those credits and shorten the screen, he'll have one of the first practical, working games.

WillPowers

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Some issues addressed.

Thanks for the feedback I've gotten so far. Really. Even 'its boring' is an indication to step up the "fun" factor of the game somewhat. Scrolling should no longer be much of an issue. Keep those suggestions coming.

DJ88

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Downtown Miami
That was the worst game i've played on the iPhone. It's almost impossible to dodge the guy's punches because once the screen registers a touch in one of the bottom corners the guy has already knocked you out with one punch, then other times it does register the touch but the other guy waits a few seconds and then proceeds to knock you out again.

So basically you're stuck trying to hit the guy 20 times to knock him out while trying to avoid his endless one punch knock outs with a screen that registers touch sometimes instantly and other times 1 second too late.

Fun!

WillPowers

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Updates

Added dodge icons in the corners. The random interval for Glass Joe's punch is now removed in favor of a constant. Thanks again for the feedback.

Will

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Added dodge icons in the corners. The random interval for Glass Joe's punch is now removed in favor of a constant. Thanks again for the feedback.

Will

The dodge graphics are a great help! They give your finger more of a target to aim for.

My only complaint still is the scrolling problem. Removing your credits, (a noble move,) helped lessen the extent of the scrollable area, but it still exists. I know that when the game loads it pushes the address bar up past the top of the screen, but while playing it's still possible to pull the screen down, thus moving your dodge icons somewhat out of view. I realize that this issue is somewhat of a double edged sword...if the address bar is showing it's possible to touch that and bring up the entry/search view and keyboard, and it's less attractive over all. Even taking advantage of the maximum possible height of the page, however, still leaves the back and new window buttons right under the dodge icons, which are closer to the input area of the game than the top of Glass Joe's head is to the address bar. If you could just cut out a portion of the mat under Glass Joe's feet and move the dodge icon's up a bit to accommodate this, we wouldn't be able to scroll at all (other than the psych-out scroll that just snaps back) and the level would be near perfect. I'm hoping for more opponents next...

Good job again, man.

Juvenile

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Are you kidding?!

That was the worst game i've played on the iPhone. It's almost impossible to dodge the guy's punches because once the screen registers a touch in one of the bottom corners the guy has already knocked you out with one punch, then other times it does register the touch but the other guy waits a few seconds and then proceeds to knock you out again.

So basically you're stuck trying to hit the guy 20 times to knock him out while trying to avoid his endless one punch knock outs with a screen that registers touch sometimes instantly and other times 1 second too late.

Fun!

I totally disagree! Great job Will! Keep the tweaks coming as I think this is a huge milestone. Show us non-tech folks what else you can come up with. Posters need to give constructive feedback instead of whining. My first goal would be to disable the zoom. Easier said than done I'm sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.