Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ve upgraded 5 of the grandkids to 9th gen iPads. The older ones will be using ASKs on theirs for home school purposes, so I bought some slim back cases for them, but I’d like to get them knockoff smart covers for when they don’t want the keyboard attached.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’ve searched Amazon, but everything I get has a back case, which isn’t a separate piece.

I swear I’m the worst Amazon shopper ever!

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I don’t believe the newer iPads have the magnets on the side like the old ones used to, so all of the magnetic covers also cover the back as that’s where they relocated the magnets to.

Reactions: LibbyLA

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I don’t believe the newer iPads have the magnets on the side like the old ones used to, so all of the magnetic covers also cover the back as that’s where they relocated the magnets to.
Not quite sure I understand what you’re saying because the magnets are definitely still on the edges - that’s where the Smart Keyboard attaches.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’ve upgraded 5 of the grandkids to 9th gen iPads. The older ones will be using ASKs on theirs for home school purposes, so I bought some slim back cases for them, but I’d like to get them knockoff smart covers for when they don’t want the keyboard attached.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’ve searched Amazon, but everything I get has a back case, which isn’t a separate piece.

I swear I’m the worst Amazon shopper ever!
Sorry to inform you that no 3rd party smart covers exist. There hasn't been a 3rd party cover (not cases) since the iPad 4 where there were knock-offs of the smartcover that had a 2 part aluminum hinge.

Having both a smart cover and ASK is exactly how I use my 9th gen iPad. I've scoured the usual places and haven't found any. You're going to be stuck with Apple's SC.

Here's a "Pro" tip: Check eBay but look for 8th gen iPad smart covers. Many people don't know that the smart cover for the 7th, 8th, and 9th gen iPads are identical. If you shop for 9th gen, you'll find SC's at or near full MSRP, but those 8th gen SC's sell for about 1/2 of the MSRP. That's how I bought my new SC for 1/2 price.

Reactions: ssledoux

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It sounds like you are referring to the non-base iPad. You are correct, the Mini 6, Air, and Pro iPads only have folio cases, not smart covers. The 9th gen of the base iPad still uses the old body style and smart covers.

Reactions: revs

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Sorry to inform you that no 3rd party smart covers exist. There hasn't been a 3rd party cover (not cases) since the iPad 4 where there were knock-offs of the smartcover that had a 2 part aluminum hinge.

Having both a smart cover and ASK is exactly how I use my 9th gen iPad. I've scoured the usual places and haven't found any. You're going to be stuck with Apple's SC.

Here's a "Pro" tip: Check eBay but look for 8th gen iPad smart covers. Many people don't know that the smart cover for the 7th, 8th, and 9th gen iPads are identical. If you shop for 9th gen, you'll find SC's at or near full MSRP, but those 8th gen SC's sell for about 1/2 of the MSRP. That's how I bought my new SC for 1/2 price.

Thanks! Since these are for grandkids, I definitely am looking for cheaper - will check eBay for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.