Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
When the M3 MBA arrives it’s very likely that I will, after decades, finally make the leap from Windows to Mac. In the meantime, I’ve been trying to anticipate all the hurdles I might face in the transition. One just occurred to me…

I currently use a Kobo eReader on which I mainly sideload epub files from my PC. Does anyone know if I will be able to do this on a Mac, or is my Kobo effectively formatted for Windows? If the latter, what can I do about it? My Kobo is pretty important to me, so if switching to a Mac renders it useless, it might even be a deal breaker. Or at least it will mean I have to always keep a PC around just to manage it.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Nope, never. Shouldn't make a difference though, it is just mounted as an external drive.
That's actually why I was worried. My understanding is that external drives don't read/write freely between Windows and Mac. For example, an external hard drive that has been formatted for Windows can be read by a Mac, but the Mac can't write new information to it. I was concerned that a Kobo might be the same.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
That's actually why I was worried. My understanding is that external drives don't read/write freely between Windows and Mac. For example, an external hard drive that has been formatted for Windows can be read by a Mac, but the Mac can't write new information to it. I was concerned that a Kobo might be the same.
Only a problem if it NTFS formatted, and there are even workarounds for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.