Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
I am looking for a KVM switch with a very specific set of features and haven't really been able to find one, but maybe you guys (or girls) will be able to help me out. I am looking for a 4 port switch with audio, mouse and keyboard (USB prefered, but could be P2/2 and I'll use an adapter), at least one USB port if it is PS/2, and of course video.

My main dillema is that I can't find something with both USB and audio. I have also scoped out ebay and found some cheap ones that do USB and other ones that can do audio. I could always just have two switches. Any advice against buying electronics on ebay? (I use ebay a good bit, but not for electronics).

Anyone have any suggestions. (oh my setup is that I have a mac, pc, and linux machines and only one set of peripherals and would like to easily swap between the three sharing all the same stuff).

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
That was easy! Thanks! I looked at some Belkin's, but not those models. Thanks again.

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
Why don't you just split the audio with a Y adapter so that you don't have to switch it. It will just always be active. This to me seems like a cheaper and better solution.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
armandocerna said:
Why don't you just split the audio with a Y adapter so that you don't have to switch it. It will just always be active. This to me seems like a cheaper and better solution.

Sounds like a good idea, it could be much cheaper.

woolybugger

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2005
Dallas
IVM switch

I have a IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB PLUS KVM Switch with Built-in KVM Cables and Audio Support, Model "GCS632U" for $50 from newegg.com

It works great by switching between the PC and Mac with the scroll lock key. The cables make it rather bulky and takes up space behind your desk. Your PS2 keyboard and mouse plug into the switch via a USB port on each computer. Sound works great too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.