Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JarinS1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
I am looking at purchasing a 160GB (Lacie) external drive. I have a 12" iBook with 30GB of storage (only 600MB available). I need a place to backup my hard drive and store these video files of astronomical size. Is there a difference between the d2 and Porsche designs?

- auto shutoff?
- easy syncing?
-noise?

Thanks.

JS

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I cant speak for the porsche, but the LaCie d2 is a great drive. I have a 250GB one w/ FW800 and its great. i've had it for 9-10 months now, and it hasnt frozen or crashed on me or anything. It emits a very light hum, and i rarely hear the drive. the only time it makes a lot of noise is when im capturing video, or scrubbing really quickly in FCP.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I also have the 250 GB D2 - excellent drive. I'd look at the specs on Lacie's website for the difference between the drives. I think the Porsche might be a tad slower.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
Well... Not so sure

They are the same in performance. For the same number of gigs, the porsche has a better price, a better design... This is of importance keeping in mind the fact that many users have the HD close to them... Chances are the classic LaCie will fall lore often because of his vertical design

Go with the porsche...

Michel

By the way: I have both of them and I regret the purchase of the 250 LaCie... Though the Porsche has been designed for LaCie

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
i have four LaCie d2 form factor drives in a LaCie desk rack. I've used d2's for years, no problems whatsoever. They are quiet and reliable, and, if you're getting more than one eventually, the rack is very nice.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I have a 250gb Porche design and it's nice. I hasn't failed. It hums a little, and it spools down when I unmount the drive from the OS. I really don't get what all the design kudos are for it. It has a shiny front, and is pretty much a rectangle. I like SilverKeeper, the backup software that comes with it. Careful with what you choose to exclude during the backup.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
Questions regarding LaCie external drives come up pretty frequently around here. You might want to do a search.

I'll post what I've posted before: D2 more expensive but runs cool, Porsche cheaper but runs hot. Haven't had a Porsche enclosure drive fail (knock wood), but others have and blamed thermal issues. Porsches don't seem to have a fan at all.

Good luck.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Ive have 2 Lacie Porsche drives and they both seem great. One 80gb and one 250gb. If you are only planning to use the external for backup storage then i think the porsche would be perfect cause there is no fan. but if you plan on using the external for extensive rendering and etc. then the D2 would be better.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
slipper said:
...but if you plan on using the external for extensive rendering and etc. then the D2 would be better.

I havn't had over heating problems on my LaCi Proche drive, and I have had it work hard for several hours at a time. Then again, it is on a glass table.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If I had to go out and buy a Lacie drive now, I'd get a D2 if only for the triple interface on some models. Have one at work and it's so solid and reliable... noise is only so-so but the office is noisy anyway.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
My D2 is noiser than my iMac, but I think it depends on your luck with what manufacturers drive is inside it. I got stuck with a Maxtor sadly :(

However noise aside it's great. Not had experience of the Porsche cases, but I gained the impression that it was just a different case design - so go for the one you like the look of.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
I heard the Porche drives have terrible thermal dissipation. I'd go for the d2, if only for the rack-mounting possibilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.