Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
I have a 5TB LaCie external hard drive, formatted HFS+. This HD recently stopped mounting entirely, first only popping up Disk Utility (it was all I used to check the HD at the time), but then dropping out entirely. It no longer mounts - so it's not visible in Disk Utility or Disk Drill at all. Terminal [diskutil list] also shows nothing. But when I look in System Information, the drive is listed, if only showing brand and capacity (see photo).

I thought of using DiskWarrior - the drive is HFS+ and it might be a directory issue. But I don't know - does anyone have any advice? This drive contains my master backup of all my non-Time Machine files. Many are irreplaceable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 1.47.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 1.47.45 PM.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 3.21.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 3.21.08 PM.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 78

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Two thoughts:

1. You said it was formatted HFS+, but your graphics says APFS.
2. You said it was a backup drive. If it's dead, just replace it. You haven't lost anything.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Two thoughts:

1. You said it was formatted HFS+, but your graphics says APFS.
2. You said it was a backup drive. If it's dead, just replace it. You haven't lost anything.
It doesn't say it's formatted AFPS, it is formatted HFS+, I know because I formatted it. The only thing that shows AFPS in my screenshots is the MacBook Pro's SSD.

And this is my last backup - so there isn't any other data. This is it, it is why i need to recover it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It doesn't say it's formatted AFPS, it is formatted HFS+, I know because I formatted it. The only thing that shows AFPS in my screenshots is the MacBook Pro's SSD.
I see. That confused me. And now I'm confused again. You said this was a backup drive, but it wasn't clear (to me) that this was your only copy of some of your important data.

If your data is irreplaceable you should consider paying a professional service to attempt recovery. DiskWarrior is a cost effective first step, but I'd be careful about using that drive at all. I think you could make it worse. Overall, it's a crap shoot. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.