Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unseetheforestforthetrees

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Hello.

I plan on hooking a Lacie drive (SSD Rugged 500gb)

for my old late 2011 macbook pro.... I plan to use the the old thunderbolt 2 cable and installing OSX on the drive to achieve faster speeds than my internal hard drive.

My question is, and it's more a Lacie Product question than mac.... When I install the software on the device could I also utilize the USB 3.0 port on the Lacie device to connect an extra 2TB backup hard drive? That would mean I have 2 external devices (One as my computer disk and one as a seperate hard drive) and one of them would be faster speed (USB-3.0)... Someone mentioned that they are not sure this would work as it's maybe not a "thru port"? If you could somehow clarify this I would be very grateful

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Thunderbolt doesn't have a positive locking mechanism, the lack of which I really, really dislike. Unless it's in a secured rack, I don't like booting from Thunderbolt devices.

Why not just pop the SSD from the Lacie enclosure and put it in your MBP?

Ha! Just realized you're in the wrong forum, too.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have used few LaCie rugged drives as boot drives. One is a LaCie Rugged TB HDD. I removed the HDD and swapped it for a SSD.

I also have a 17" Late 2011 MBP.

When I install the software on the device could I also utilize the USB 3.0 port on the Lacie device to connect an extra 2TB backup hard drive? That would mean I have 2 external devices (One as my computer disk and one as a seperate hard drive) and one of them would be faster speed (USB-3.0)... Someone mentioned that they are not sure this would work as it's maybe not a "thru port"?
While I have never tried it, I don't think it would work.

If you want to get USB3 on your Late 2011 MBP, I suggest getting a TB dock with USB ports.

Why not just pop the SSD from the Lacie enclosure and put it in your MBP?
If the LaCie Rugged TB SSD is SATA, this is what I would do.

Opening the MBP is easy, and swapping the internal drive can be done pretty quickly.

Replacing the internal HDD with a SATA SSD would be faster than using the LaCie Rugged TB Drive as well. An internal SSD would be about 50% to 60% faster than the LaCie SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.