Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Ok guys I have solved the problem. For those of you wishing to use those wallpapers that causes the 'lag', download this app called 'Image File Converter'. Use the app to 're-convert' the file into JPEG and the lag should be removed.

Reactions: usskywatch

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Ok guys I have solved the problem. For those of you wishing to use those wallpapers that causes the 'lag', download this app called 'Image File Converter'. Use the app to 're-convert' the file into JPEG and the lag should be removed.

Wow! That actually worked!! Nice find!!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
So any non-JPEG image set as a wallpaper causes lag?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
So any non-JPEG image set as a wallpaper causes lag?

I'm guessing PNG files that are expanded color gamut. I noticed that when I saved certain colorful images as JPEG, the colors muted a little bit and then it was smooth. Since the iPhone 7 and 7+ can now display expanded gamut color, maybe certain colors are harder to render than others and thus causes the slight frame drops.

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Hers a couple that work well for me
af6fbe2dfff19c5ef8a2e36c4bd20e2c.jpg

ba468a08522d8b6fc3232da1ded4e09c.png

7ef0e9cc70928dd56865a4ee0742539c.png

4bec3f70755b4e3080319bb18cef113e.jpg

cd7e36e8d49b865b77c80f54adfb8836.jpeg

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
iphone 7 plus "dropping frames" cause of a wallpaper...

just, no.. any iphone "lagging" from a still non live image thats not actively rendered, just no.. but thanks for the 7 plus res wallpapers nevertheless

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011

just, no.. any iphone "lagging" from a still non live image thats not actively rendered, just no.. but thanks for the 7 plus res wallpapers nevertheless

I've tested it myself, and some walls have the lag effect and others don't. Especially with folders and certain apps.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014

Just because it seems like it shouldn't do it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It has been tested time and time again and while it's gotten better in the latest version, there are still some wallpapers that still cause frame drops. We're trying to figure it out and as someone posted earlier, when you convert the image to a JPEG, I'm assuming it gets rid of the expanded gamut color and no longer makes the phone stutter. I've tested it myself and can confirm that it does work.

usskywatch

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2016
This absolutely fixed this really annoying issue for me. Thank you!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's impossible. The iPhone 7 Plus is so powerful that it cannot lag whatsoever!

</sarcasm>
Well, seems like it's not really a device performance issue but some sort of a bug or glitch with dealing with certain image types/compressions.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Well, seems like it's not really a device performance issue but some sort of a bug or glitch with dealing with certain image types/compressions.

I know. I was pretending to be one of those people who don't believe me when I say the 7 Plus is dropping frames. They think it simply cannot happen.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
I defiantly noticed the difference. I went back and forth between two different wallpapers, it's a vey quick sutter. Now I won't be able to unsee it :eek:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I must say, all posted wallpapers here are beautiful wallpapers! Love all of them.
Although I cannot see any stutter on my iPhone 6s Plus even using those wallpapers that "DO stutter".

Dmanflows

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
Thanks for this, using one of the wallpapers provided here and the stutter is completely gone.

Hope Apple eventually fixes this bug.
Hello can you makeme a New Orleans pelicans wallpaper paper like this for ip6 plus red/blue background thanks
[doublepost=1496570842][/doublepost]Can somebody do a New Orleans pelicans wallpaper for i phone 6 plus like this no matter what color

Attachments

• IMG_2749.PNG
    IMG_2749.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,064
  • IMG_2752.PNG
    IMG_2752.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 820

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
I got my 7 plus recently coming from an iphone 6s plus.
I like it but i somehow saw also that sometimes when i open close email and safari i got abit lag etc.
Then did hard reset but nothing.
I went on and again after a while it happen again.
Prob in the mean while i choose diferent walpapers that some of them were lag free :)
When it happened again i got a bit upset so i even did restore and set up as new!

And then i set a walpaper from the default of the device.then it was ok so for a week now i had the same walpaper bs i was a bit suspicius that al this was from the walpaper!
Now i was just looking to find a nice walpaper i saw the thread and boom !
Its true , i just downloaded one from the op and my 7plus is really smooth.
Its just a bit weird that al this hapen from a walpaper !

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I got my 7 plus recently coming from an iphone 6s plus.
I like it but i somehow saw also that sometimes when i open close email and safari i got abit lag etc.
Then did hard reset but nothing.
I went on and again after a while it happen again.
Prob in the mean while i choose diferent walpapers that some of them were lag free :)
When it happened again i got a bit upset so i even did restore and set up as new!

And then i set a walpaper from the default of the device.then it was ok so for a week now i had the same walpaper bs i was a bit suspicius that al this was from the walpaper!
Now i was just looking to find a nice walpaper i saw the thread and boom !
Its true , i just downloaded one from the op and my 7plus is really smooth.
Its just a bit weird that al this hapen from a walpaper !

Glad I could help!

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
My X has this issue cant belive such a powerful phone lags using a wallpaper ive now had to use apples default ones or i get major lag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.