Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stanley Adianto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2020
Recently i just switch my hdd to sdd and decided to fresh install os El Capitan via Bootable usb, after booting to usb installer and past the apple logo its feel very laggy and slow in the installation screen , it took 1 minutes just to press continue button ,
Is it because of my slow usb drive ? Or there something i need to do

Currently using Macbook late 2008 Aluminium body

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
One reason for the slowness is you're installing to a machine that is 12 years old. The USB ports on that MacBook are USB 2.0 which are not as fast as USB 3. Also, have you checked the hard drive to see that it's okay? Slowness could also indicate a hard drive that is failing.

Stanley Adianto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2020
I
One reason for the slowness is you're installing to a machine that is 12 years old. The USB ports on that MacBook are USB 2.0 which are not as fast as USB 3. Also, have you checked the hard drive to see that it's okay? Slowness could also indicate a hard drive that is failing.
Actually i just upgraded to ssd , and installed 10.7 os x and its boot faster than my old hdd but when i decide to install el capitan it just very slow in the installation screen , do you think usb drive would be the issue ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you max out the RAM (to 8 GB)?
The install for El Capitan is fairly large, compared to most OS X/macOS installs, so a slow USB likely contributes to a slow install process.
If the install is on a thumb drive, some can be slow. Fastest response speed for a system install will be installing from a true SSD, a USB flash isn't always the best choice for speed. Thumb drives are just too convenient. I carry one 64 GB thumb drive in my pocket loaded with the last 8 OS X installers. Yeah, sometimes it's slow on some Macs, but always works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.