Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Hi
I've a Magic Keyboard last version and i encounter some lags with my new Mac Pro 6,1. Sometimes the lag makes what i'm typing repeating (example just before with all the spaces). I disconnected the keyboard, remove the bluetooth connection, connected again using the keyboard etc... but it's still like that.
When it's connected using the cable, no issues, it only when connected using bluetooth.
What is strange is that sometimes it looks like working correctly. But sometimes no...
Any ideas?
Thanks

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Hi
I've a Magic Keyboard last version and i encounter some lags with my new Mac Pro 6,1. Sometimes the lag makes what i'm typing repeating (example just before with all the spaces). I disconnected the keyboard, remove the bluetooth connection, connected again using the keyboard etc... but it's still like that.
When it's connected using the cable, no issues, it only when connected using bluetooth.
What is strange is that sometimes it looks like working correctly. But sometimes no...
Any ideas?
Thanks

so if it works ok when cabled (it's communicating over the wire when connected), then your problem is bluetooth. Some interference issue, bluetooth version mismatch... the keyboard only has a narrow radio transparent strip on its back edge, is there anything possibly blocking it?

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I’ve used the same combo of Mac Pro and keyboard for years with zero issues. May be interference as the other post suggests…

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Hey, not really, my TC is on my desk like 50cm from my Keyboard. So i dont see any reason why there should be interferences. Especially as I dont have any other item plug. I use my mouse in BT as well, i will probably try to conect it using the small Logitec dongle and see if it changes anything.
What is super strange is that i had again de problem with the keyboard while writing this answer... I switched off and on the keyboard and now it looks like if i dont have any issues anymore.
But i already experienced this... and when the TC or my KB go in sleep mode when i come back, the issue can happen again...
Strange things
Thanks

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
But i already experienced this... and when the TC or my KB go in sleep mode when i come back, the issue can happen again...

In /Applications/Utilities there should be an app called Bluetooth Explorer, it'll give you a realtime graph of bluetooth signal strength, timeouts, retransmits etc. Might be worth watching when the problem is happening, to see what's going on.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
In /Applications/Utilities there should be an app called Bluetooth Explorer, it'll give you a realtime graph of bluetooth signal strength, timeouts, retransmits etc. Might be worth watching when the problem is happening, to see what's going on.
Hey, no such application in the /Applications/Utilities... I only have Bluethoot File exchange

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
BlueTooth Explorer isn't a default macOS software, but from the Xcode addition tools, which only avail on the Apple developer website.

Anyway, for Monterey onward, Apple removed the support for BlueTooth Explorer. Even you get that from the old version's of Xcode addition tool, it won't work anymore.

To OP, what you describ is exactly the same behaviour of having interference. It's not only about how close to the BT antenna, but also how much intereference around.

e.g. If your printer has 2.4GHz wifi, it can interefere the BT. Also, any USB 3.0 device may interfere the 2,4GHz singal, And your 6,1 has USB 3.0 ports well within 50cm from the BT antenna. Therefore, the BT signal can be affected.

I am not saying intereference always happen on the 6,1, but it can, and from your description, it is.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Just an update: My mouse (Logitec MX Master 2) was connected in Bluetooth. I switched it to the the dongle connection (USB Uniconnect Logitec dongle), and the lag has gone away. It means that the BT connection of the Mouse was disturbing the Magic KB connection...
Thanks

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.