Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
LAMENT OF THE UNSUPPORTED

by RumorzGuy (the renegade poet)

09-09-16

Apple says I am an old horse,
Not worthy of their new OS,
But I've still got the innards,
So my protest I must express.

Money and the profit margin,
Seems to be the bottom line,
Force me to buy a new Mac,
When this one suits me fine.

I don't swim in much money,
A new Mac is a major deal,
Maybe if you were in my shoes,
You'd understand how I feel.

So tho' Apple tries to stop me,
I'll install with patcher tools,
Better one more year of upgrades,
Than being Cupertino's fools.

(Happily running macOS Sierra GM on an early 2009 iMac)

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
LAMENT OF THE UNSUPPORTED

by RumorzGuy (the renegade poet)

09-09-16

Apple says I am an old horse,
Not worthy of their new OS,
But I've still got the innards,
So my protest I must express.

Money and the profit margin,
Seems to be the bottom line,
Force me to buy a new Mac,
When this one suits me fine.

I don't swim in much money,
A new Mac is a major deal,
Maybe if you were in my shoes,
You'd understand how I feel.

So tho' Apple tries to stop me,
I'll install with patcher tools,
Better one more year of upgrades,
Than being Cupertino's fools.

(Happily running macOS Sierra GM on an early 2009 iMac)

This is great! I'm also running the GM on my early 2009 iMac. It amazes me how this thing is still chugging along.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
HAIKU OF THE DOOM AND GLOOM MACRUMORS COMMENTER

by keysofanxiety (definitely not a poet)

09-09-16

Apple update Macs,
Most likely in October,
No need to worry.

Reactions: Fuchal and frou

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
This is great! I'm also running the GM on my early 2009 iMac. It amazes me how this thing is still chugging along.

This 24" iMac is starting to show its age; particularly in burn-in and dark spots in different parts of the screen, and one or two burnt-out pixels. It also gets its fair share of beach balls. However, I do tax it to the limit with only 4 GB of memory, and running a web server with multiple domains, BBS, Hotline server, blog, and all of the other daily stuff that I do on this machine throughout each day.

However, I must say that, like you, since Public Beta 1, I have found macOS Sierra to be quite stable on this machine. Out of the 130 or so apps that I have in my "Applications" folder, only one has been affected by Sierra to date.

We should be thankful for on-the-ball developers who work hard to keep their apps up-to-date with the latest OS.

Glad you like the poem. My sarcasm often goes on public display via my poetry. :)
[doublepost=1473416441][/doublepost]
HAIKU OF THE DOOM AND GLOOM MACRUMORS COMMENTER

by keysofanxiety (definitely not a poet)

09-09-16

Apple update Macs,
Most likely in October,
No need to worry.

With a name like "keysofanxiety", I hope you are taking your meds. :)

BTW, we all know that trying to stay ahead in Apple's game of annual new models is an exercise in futiity . . . unless one is swimming in piles of money, of course. :p

Last edited:

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Here is an added bonus for my previous poem. I thought you might like to meet that "old horse". :)

sierra-horse.png

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
This 24" iMac is starting to show its age; particularly in burn-in and dark spots in different parts of the screen, and one or two burnt-out pixels. It also gets its fair share of beach balls. However, I do tax it to the limit with only 4 GB of memory, and running a web server with multiple domains, BBS, Hotline server, blog, and all of the other daily stuff that I do on this machine throughout each day.

However, I must say that, like you, since Public Beta 1, I have found macOS Sierra to be quite stable on this machine. Out of the 130 or so apps that I have in my "Applications" folder, only one has been affected by Sierra to date.

We should be thankful for on-the-ball developers who work hard to keep their apps up-to-date with the latest OS.

Glad you like the poem. My sarcasm often goes on public display via my poetry. :)
[doublepost=1473416441][/doublepost]

With a name like "keysofanxiety", I hope you are taking your meds. :)

BTW, we all know that trying to stay ahead in Apple's game of annual new models is an exercise in futiity . . . unless one is swimming in piles of money, of course. :p

Jesus! You do a lot on yours. I did upgrade the RAM on mine around the time 10.8 or 10.9 came out to 8GBs. I think this has helped it tremendously. For the most part the iMac has lived in a pretty secluded room with no direct sunlight to the panel so mine does not have any burn in/dark spots or dead pixels. Of course, now that I praise it so much I'm sure something will go wrong lol

I use mine for iTunes (iPhone & iPad master backups) media, media sharing, Mail, and downloading. Glad to see Safari so snappy in Sierra.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Jesus! You do a lot on yours. I did upgrade the RAM on mine around the time 10.8 or 10.9 came out to 8GBs. I think this has helped it tremendously. For the most part the iMac has lived in a pretty secluded room with no direct sunlight to the panel so mine does not have any burn in/dark spots or dead pixels. Of course, now that I praise it so much I'm sure something will go wrong lol

I use mine for iTunes (iPhone & iPad master backups) media, media sharing, Mail, and downloading. Glad to see Safari so snappy in Sierra.

Yes, it's been quite the workhorse for me. I inherited it a few years ago from my daughter who now uses a MBP. Good thing too, because my 27" iMac -- the very first model that came out -- developed a set of serious problems of its own, and now sits inoperable, as I debate in my mind over whether I should fix it, or save the money and invest it towards a new machine one of these days. I've been leaning towards the latter for months now, given the age of the 27".

The burn-in is not due to sunlight. It is due to the corners and edges of desktop windows being burned into the screen over time, because I leave certain windows open all the time, and my desktop itself is dark. There are ways to reduce the visibility of the burn-in -- such as by setting your desktop to pure white for a number of hours with no open windows or icons on it -- but I've never taken the time to do it.

I recall a while back -- years ago, actually -- an app that supposedly "whitened" your screen, but it was all a hoax. What it actually did was slowly and almost imperceptibly darken your screen a tad. Then this hand would appear and start wiping the screen, and it would "magically" appear as if the screen was actually getting whiter. I can't remember the name of it now.

Reactions: Mufasa804
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.