Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avery1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I'm attempting to setup a LAG between my MBP and NAS to double the bandwidth between the two, bonding/teaming/aggregating two NICs.

The hardware I'm using is:
Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro (OS X 10.10.5) with two thunderbolt (or USB 3) Gigabit Ethernet adapters
Netgear GS724Tv3 (smart managed switch)
QNAP TS-653 NAS (4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet)

Switch and MBP are fully patched, and QNAP hardware is a few months old.

I setup the LAG between on the NAS side (802.3ad) and Switch side (LACP). I am able to exceed 125MB/s, between two computers hitting the NAS at the same time.

I then setup the LAG between the Switch (LACP) and the MBP (Link Aggregate, Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet). The link aggregate shows as active for both interfaces, and serves effectively as failover without missing a ping; however, I'm only able to push about 110 MB/s across the network to the NAS (which is RAID 10). I've confirmed the bandwidth using both Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, as well as iStat pro.

I know this can work with the proper setup (versus conflicting reports), as individuals have demonstrated it previously.
e.g.
https://swytechnotes.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/802-3ad-lacp-bonding-for-fun/

Does anyone have ideas on troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!
Avery

Avery1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Can anyone recommend a better forum (here or elsewhere) that this should be posted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.