Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wattoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying to connect to my LAN router. After I plug-in the LAN Cable and manually set my IP, Subnet Mask, Router and DNS Server address, ethernet says it is Connected (Screenshot Below). However; when I try to ping the router through terminal, it says:

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
ping: sendto: Host is down

3 other systems are connected to the same router with same configuration (with different IP obviously) and the router is returning their ping. Which means the router is NOT configured for a No Ping.

This all started after I installed speedify for merging LAN & Wifi networks (Which I deleted/uninstalled afterwards). Before installing speedify, everything was working fine with the same machine and same router.

I have already tried deleting the ethernet, creating a new ethernet etc. Also used the following command sudo ifconfig en0 down, sudo ifconfig en0 up.

I'm using macOS Catalina 10.15 on a Macbook Pro mid 2012.

e59cf193-e568-4e63-ba6f-74b3894e06a2

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Have you tried another cable? I was helping a friend remotely troubleshoot a connection issue a few months ago. We went through everything, nothing worked, and then finally he tried another cable...bingo.

It's a possibility, at least. Swap with one of the cables from the working machines.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I think you might want to contact Speedify support.

My understanding is that the exact configuration that is failing to work now was in place before you installed Speedify, and that configuration was working fine. Now, after uninstalling Speedify, the configuration no longer works (in that you can't ping your gateway router).

Speedify likely played with your machines routing table to bond the two interfaces. Perhaps some configuration was left in place even after uninstalling Speedify.

R2K2

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Have you tried creating a new network location? And is there a specific reason why your are not using DHCP on your network?

Wattoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I think you might want to contact Speedify support.

My understanding is that the exact configuration that is failing to work now was in place before you installed Speedify, and that configuration was working fine. Now, after uninstalling Speedify, the configuration no longer works (in that you can't ping your gateway router).

Speedify likely played with your machines routing table to bond the two interfaces. Perhaps some configuration was left in place even after uninstalling Speedify.
That’s what I was thinking. Some configuration was left in place even after uninstallation. Million dollar question is What was left and how to rectify

Wattoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Have you tried creating a new network location? And is there a specific reason why your are not using DHCP on your network?
Yes, I deleted the ethernet and then re-created it. Secondly, as all other systems on the network are using manual configurations, I also did the same.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I assume you rebooted after uninstalling Speedify.

I realize you might not want to post it here, for privacy sake, but I do wonder what your routes look like:

netstat -rn -f inet

If you see something strange there, then that would be information to provide to Speedify if asking for help. You might see your default route (the gateway) on some obsolete interface that should have been removed when uninstalling Speedify. (I'm really an amateur here.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.