Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaboid01

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Has anyone figured out if the homepage of icons support landscape orientation like the Plus versions do? TIA

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Could you explain the use case for a landscape home page? If it’s landscape usage then only a handful of apps actually support landscape mode anyway. So it’s not really an issue in day to day use but changing the whole orientation of the home page requires a lot of mucking around with the UI layer for not much benefit. I think that’s why they prioritised not to optimise it for the Xs Max.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
To be honest I’m pleased Apple didn’t include it on the Home Screen.
The times I used to lay in bed with my 7 Plus, turn on the phone, or go back to the Home Screen only to watch the screen orientate was confusing.
At least now the Home Screen stays static.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Could you explain the use case for a landscape home page? If it’s landscape usage then only a handful of apps actually support landscape mode anyway. So it’s not really an issue in day to day use but changing the whole orientation of the home page requires a lot of mucking around with the UI layer for not much benefit. I think that’s why they prioritised not to optimise it for the Xs Max.

When driving as a navigation, its much better to use it in landscape than portrait mode.

I use my phone in landscape mode whenever its possible as well. I find it to be very useful. Hence why I got the Max. Very disappointed they removed it for the sake of face ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.