Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK

I use a Logitech Slim Combo iPad Case with my iPad Pro 10.5 which is perfect for lapability, I very rarely use the Keyboard so I’m after a case with a similar kickstand but without the keyboard. Best bet so far is the ESR Sentry. Any others about?​

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
if you don’t want a keyboard the zugu alpha is hard to beat, I have used it for years and it is the best case I ever used (by far): the quality is outstanding and functionality is very good. The only negatives are the weight and the fact that the inside of the screen cover acts as base so it tends to get dirty.
The sentry is a cheap knock off of it (there are several on the market), I never tried it but this YouTube comparison doesn’t give much hope:
The zugu for the 2021 12.9 isn’t out yet, I put my Ipp inside the 2018 model which kinda fits but the camera is partly covered and the pencil won’t charge inside it.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
if you don’t want a keyboard the zugu alpha is hard to beat, I have used it for years and it is the best case I ever used (by far): the quality is outstanding and functionality is very good. The only negatives are the weight and the fact that the inside of the screen cover acts as base so it tends to get dirty.
The sentry is a cheap knock off of it (there are several on the market), I never tried it but this YouTube comparison doesn’t give much hope:
The zugu for the 2021 12.9 isn’t out yet, I put my Ipp inside the 2018 model which kinda fits but the camera is partly covered and the pencil won’t charge inside it.
£60 for the Zugu, £20 for the ESR… they both have good reviews on Amazon… I don’t trust YouTube videos because usually the reviewers are biased. I guess you get one you pay for anyway.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
No problem sticking to the fridge with the ESR… look at this review…. Your reviewer was attaching it wrong?

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
I don’t have direct experience with the esr, I did check it out because I didn’t want to wait till the end of June for the zugu. I know the zugu and have an idea of what makes it such a good product (or at least the things I value) and by seeing the esr and similar products I get the idea by how they are made that they don’t have a similar level of quality and functionality. I guess you get what you pay for.
The general concept is very good so maybe you’ll be happy with the esr as well. The kickstand is very versatile and you can quickly adapt it to any angle, plus it’s resting on the cover as base so it’s very stable even on the lap.
Just to give you a perspective these are the things I love about the zugu that I think I‘d miss by getting the esr:
- the case is very solid but the exterior is covered with a soft material that is very nice to the touch, also the interior is covered in a soft microfiber which seems to work well in preventing scratches on the iPad.
- the magnets on the kickstand are quite powerful so the whole things doesn’t flex or wobble at most angles. (if you put it at the lowest angle and you write with the pencil there’s a slight flex)
- the pencil holder is very effective in keeping It attached without the need of flaps and such.
- the buttons and cut outs are very precise and work very well.
- after two years of daily use it’s still like new
anyway, that’s just my personal experience, if you decide to get the esr let me know how you find it

LadyCiel

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
No problem sticking to the fridge with the ESR… look at this review…. Your reviewer was attaching it wrong?

This isn’t an apples to apples comparison. This successful fridge hang is with the 11” model, so it’s challenging the magnets with considerably less weight than the 12.9” iPad. Even then, the guy is obviously babying the thing for fear it is going to drop. The video further up comparing the ESR sentry to the zugu is the 12.9. That’s the tougher test, and I’ve seen multiple videos that lead me to believe the Sentry doesn’t have magnets as strong as the Zugu. Whether that matters depends on your use case.

For anyone wondering, you can tell for certain which size they are showing by the number of grooves on the front.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
So I read somewhere the 2020 version of the Zugu doesn’t allow the pen to charge for some reason. I’ve had both cases and an earlier comment is correct. You get what you pay for. The ESR is fine but not the finish and quality of the Zugu. It pains me to wait but for me the Zugu is worth it.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I’ll get the ESR Sentry, I’ll see how it roles… it’s cheap enough £20 to buy as a temporary solution till if/when I buy a Logitech Combo Touch.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
UPDATE:-

Purchased the ISR Sentry Case for iPad Pro 2019/2020 for my iPad Pro 2011, fits perfectly apart from the speaker cutouts are a little off, I expect the 2011 version of the case will rectify this.

At £23 its a bargain, quality is excellent, the magnet kick stand is perfect.

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about RE-

1. floppy fit around the edges, mine is very stiff but not to stiff that it makes the removal of the iPad difficult.

2. not that I’m going to put iPad on the Fridge but I tried this and it stuck on well.
843A4198-36F9-40C6-A3AF-CB246A424F76.jpeg

Reactions: alfogator
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.