Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of these would you most like to see in the next revision of MB/MBP?

• Larger hard drive

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Faster hard drive

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 1 Gig ram as standard

Votes: 22 16.7%
  • Better gpu

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • Faster yonah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Price drop

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Merom

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • iWork

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • FW800

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Dual DVD

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

j26

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Scarlet Fever said:
should have been a multiple choice poll... :p

The idea of the single vote is to force you to decide what's most important to you, otherwise everyone would pick 'em all :p

I find it very interesting how few people are choosing a faster processor (7 out of 57 at this stage). With all the hype about Merom in the last while I thought more would want more speed.

Maybe people see that raw speed in a portable is unnecessary, and the processors are fast enough. Usability (particularly ram and gpu) and affordability seem to be the main issues so far. That fits into my feelings on it, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
j26 said:
Maybe people see that raw speed in a portable is unnecessary, and the processors are fast enough.
I think when you have two processors in a laptop, speed doesn't seem to be an issue; its the rest of the hardware holding it back.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'd like them to loose the optical drive and go for dual hard drives instead. Would be perfect for time machine, and I need additional HD space much more than a Optical drive: I always use my external LaCie superdrive, both for burning (much faster) and ripping. (I use a lot of dodgy quality CD/DVDs from the public library, and after one shattered inside my iBook's slot drive I'm not letting any of those near my MacBook. The iBook still has a large bit of a CD inside the combo drive.)

draghelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Victoria Australia
I'd like dedicated graphics on the Macbook, and smaller hard drives as a BTO option on the Macbook Pro. Longer battery lives and lighter enclosures too would be much appriciated.

Easy Rider

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
A laptop that has no bugs from day 1

A laptop that has a drive bay that is removable so I can insert either my optical drive, or another hard drive, or a battery

A laptop that comes with the freaking mini dvi cable in the box so I don't have to buy it

A laptop that is made out of a more robust material so if i ever do drop it i don't have to worry about scratches too much

Basically take a thinkpad, give it some apple style, and you have what i believe to be a dream machine

EDIT: Tablet would be nice

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I'm torn between 1 gig or RAM standard or a price drop. When I first got my MacBook, 512MB was good enough for web browsing, IM and iTunes, but Parallels was a bust, even bundled iLife apps like iPhoto and GarageBand struggled. Even so, I'd really like to see the MacBook drop in price by $100 so they can reach that magic $999 price point again. Same for the Mac mini. Over all, I think the MacBook is a great laptop where it is.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
thejadedmonkey said:
a longer battery life, media controls, bla bla bla...

and a touch screen!
Media controls??? :confused: Are you kidding me?? Why on earth would you need extra buttons on a keyboard? Is it me or those things are simply heinous!!! Gosh

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Zwhaler said:
I voted merom, I would perfer it to be "future proof"

Yup. I dont have a use really for the rest. FW800 would be nice, but not the showstopper I though it was when they launched the 15" x86book.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
I'm going with my own option 'other' A slot to store my Apple remote in would be fantastic ;-)

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
A subnotebook with a 12" screen at most and clearly thinner and lighter than the last powerbook 12". Time on battery should not be less than the current systems and it doesn't need an optical drive.

Of the given choices I would in the first place ask for merom.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
The main things I would want in a new Macbook Pro would be:

1. Merom (core 2 duo) processor
2. FW800 (why does the 17" have this while the 15" doesn't? My PB 15" even has it... i did buy a FW800 drive for video editing for a reason...)
3. Better GPU (I want to run winxp and play games (HL2, UT2004/2007,etc) and kick my desktop pc out); and not underclocked ;)
4. larger and faster harddrive (at least 120GB and 7200rpm)
5. 802.11n (even though it is not a finished standard yet, probably most changes could be dealt with by using a new firmware)
6. Perhaps Santa Rosa?
7. dual layer superdrive

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Not sure why some are excited about Merom... I'm going for:

1. Better GPU
2. More battery life (4 hours+)
3. Price drop (this won't happen on a new model though.)
4. Farther wireless reception on MBPs
5. Higher resolution LCDs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.