Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitalion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hello guys,

I am looking for laptop as a secondary machine. I am currently using a full spec iMac late 2013 as my main station. Mainly for adobe products (Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign). Based on the work that i am doing it will serve me at least 2 more years, most likely more.

I want the laptop as an "on the go" machine for light to mid work on various projects. Apart from that, I wll use it for all the casual stuff when i am away (emails, web browsing, spotify etc.) The majority of the heavy work will be done on the iMac)

Based on that, I am looking at the following machines at the moment:

Retina MacBook Pro 13inch (2015)
  • 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based SSD
MacBook Air 13inch (2015) - i would love to find a new 11inch MacBook Air with the following specs but it seems impossible since that model is not available anymore.
  • 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
MacBook (2016)
  • 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core m7, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • 256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
Factors to consider (importance)
1. Future-proof
2. performance
3. portability
4. battery life
5. price

Looking forward for your input.

thanks a lot. i got a similar thread but this one is with some more details.

thanks

V

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
The MBP's are certainly more future-proof, and higher performance.

That said, I've been substantially surprised at how good my 2015 MacBook is at the basics, and the 2016 one is considerably faster. Tiny package, lighter and smaller than a 12" iPad Pro with keyboard, incredibly easy to decide to bring with you.

That last item is the big one, IMHO. For me, a MacBook that I'm happy to bring with me everywhere had more value than an MBPr that I leave at home half the time.

You may of course have different needs.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
I would not recommend the Air due to its lack of retina screen, and the 2015 RMBP is much more powerful than the rMB, so i would go for the 2015 rMBP

vitalion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
The MBP's are certainly more future-proof, and higher performance.

That said, I've been substantially surprised at how good my 2015 MacBook is at the basics, and the 2016 one is considerably faster. Tiny package, lighter and smaller than a 12" iPad Pro with keyboard, incredibly easy to decide to bring with you.

That last item is the big one, IMHO. For me, a MacBook that I'm happy to bring with me everywhere had more value than an MBPr that I leave at home half the time.

You may of course have different needs.

Thanks for the reply. The new MacBook is a beauty and a bit on the expensive path but for sure has great specs and portability! i think that the Air is out of the equation and i maybe i need to make up my mind between rMBP and MacBook.

cheers
[doublepost=1477946259][/doublepost]
I would not recommend the Air due to its lack of retina screen, and the 2015 RMBP is much more powerful than the rMB, so i would go for the 2015 rMBP

Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah i think that the absence of the retina display is a disadvantage. As i have said to Deanster i will try and figure out which one is gonna be better for my needs. rMBP is more powerful and future-proof but on the other hand the MacBook is a perfect portable machine - pricey but perfect.

i will give it some more thought. i might go to the apple store to have a look between the two.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah i think that the absence of the retina display is a disadvantage. As i have said to Deanster i will try and figure out which one is gonna be better for my needs. rMBP is more powerful and future-proof but on the other hand the MacBook is a perfect portable machine - pricey but perfect.

i will give it some more thought. i might go to the apple store to have a look between the two.
One thing that i have seen in reviews is that the rMB (12in) is kinda weird to have on your lap as it is not wide enough to space your legs comfortably while it is resting on them.
The way you have them spec'd out the rMB is significantly more expensive @ 1,549, while the rMBP is 1,299, a 250$ price delta, and I am fairly certain that the rMBP is significantly more powerful. If you were to spec out the 2015 rMBP to the same price you would get
  • 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD
for 1599, just 50$ more expensive, for a much more powerful machine.

for any clarification, please let me know

vitalion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
One thing that i have seen in reviews is that the rMB (12in) is kinda weird to have on your lap as it is not wide enough to space your legs comfortably while it is resting on them.
The way you have them spec'd out the rMB is significantly more expensive @ 1,549, while the rMBP is 1,299, a 250$ price delta, and I am fairly certain that the rMBP is significantly more powerful. If you were to spec out the 2015 rMBP to the same price you would get
  • 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD
for 1599, just 50$ more expensive, for a much more powerful machine.

for any clarification, please let me know

I can get the rMBP for $1100 entry level specs.

I don't need much of internal storage since i am working from external SSD for work files.

and just now i realized that i ma gonna need adapters for the MacBook since there is only one USB-C. :(

i think i am moving towards the rMBP. i will go try to go the store sometime this week to have another look now that i got a better picture.

thanks for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.