Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOH21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Apologies if this is a dup thread...

I’m in the market for a business travel laptop bag / briefcase. Things I’m looking for:

• Professional look: I need to carry it into a client meeting for a Fortune level company (leather?).
  • Hold a MacBook of some kind, but also have dedicated storage for things like dongles, power supply brick, iPhone, headphones, etc. I don’t want to throw all those items into a huge compartment just to get all messed up.
  • Space for soft goods like a paper notebook, small water bottle, pens, business cards, etc.

Budget? Honestly, no idea. Willing to pay for quality but not overpay for just a brand name.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

ascNYC

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I have been doing research for the last several months and just got a new MB Pro 15" this week. I had similar criteria and ended up purchasing the Carry Combo from Stuart and Lau. The case is top quality and has a very smart design. I got the navy with british tan leather straps. The padded internal notebook sleeve fits a 15" MB Pro snugly. Plenty of room to carry everything else and very smart pocket design. This really stands out amongst the sea of Tumi and other black ballistic nylon bags out there.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would care less about "looks" then about functionality.
- Does it provide enough padded protection for the MBP?
- Does it have adequate storage space for your dongles, etc.?

Um... the last thing -- the VERY LAST THING -- you want to do is to put a water bottle into ANY carrying case in which a computer is packed.

If you were a subordinate and walked into MY office and I saw that, right away I'd start wondering about your judgement... ;)

Reactions: macintoshmac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Apologies if this is a dup thread...

I’m in the market for a business travel laptop bag / briefcase. Things I’m looking for:

• Professional look: I need to carry it into a client meeting for a Fortune level company (leather?).
  • Hold a MacBook of some kind, but also have dedicated storage for things like dongles, power supply brick, iPhone, headphones, etc. I don’t want to throw all those items into a huge compartment just to get all messed up.
  • Space for soft goods like a paper notebook, small water bottle, pens, business cards, etc.

Budget? Honestly, no idea. Willing to pay for quality but not overpay for just a brand name.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Over the years, I've had leather briefcases (which were - and are - also laptop bags) by Saddleback (their medium classic); by Church's (they manufacture superb footwear); by Adeney Swaine & Briggs (a gift to myself when I finished a really challenging deployment), and Colonel Littleton.

I have had others, too, bought in countries where I have worked, but do not use them as much.

For leather, classic chestnut brown, dark brown, or black will always work well in a formal setting.

Dedicated storage space for dongles is a challenge, as most briefcases/laptop cases have several - and sometimes capacious - compartments rather than dedicated storage spaces.

I tend to use one compartment for all of the dongles, and another for notebooks (the kind you write in) while the laptop itself is usually in a cushioned and protected compartment.

Re water, I usually put a water bottle in the sleeve at the back of a briefcase where you can store magazines (the kind you read) or periodicals, rather than placing it inside the briefcase itself, unless it is wrapped in a plastic bag.

Reactions: macintoshmac

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Target has a Targus that will fit a 15" MBP and assorted other things. About $40 IIRC. I've both a set of headphones, charger in a cable manager, assorted thumb drives, a version 1 Magic Mouse in the clear case. Still have room for a notepad or paperback depending on thickness.

Solid black. Easy to carry and has a shoulder strap.

Think this could be it. It is a CityLite bag.

https://www.target.com/p/targus-174-citylite-laptop-bag-16/-/A-13726760

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Always been a big fan of Tumi cases. Lots of pockets, storage space, leather, classic yet stylish looks. "Affordable" when compared to more luxe brands.

Some have water resistant separate pockets for the water bottle, umbrella.

Eg.

https://www.tumi.com/p/expandable-organizer-laptop-brief-leather-01173211041/

Tumi has stores around the country, so, if your city or one passing through has a store, can get hands on to see what might work.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I have this one

https://www.maxwellscottbags.com/products/lorenzo-slim-small-leather-briefcase.html

I managed to get it when it was on sale at £275 but it’s perfect. It fits my MacBook Air and 12” iPad plus a power bank. The power bank is slimmer than a power adapter and only comes with me if I know my laptop is going to get some serious use in the day.

One thing I always do with any leather bag is to put a strip of 12mm dense foam in the bottom to protect the laptop when you set the bag down. No manufacturers seem to consider this.

MacOH21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Good thoughts on the water bottle. Is one of those things you end up with at the airport or in a meeting and you’re not sure what to do with except take it with you.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a bit late to the party and you've probably already made a selection, but I too highly recommend Tumi. Definitely go into a store and talk to the staff, let them know what you're looking for. Guarantee they will put you on the right piece. You will pay for it, but they last and last and last. Mine is several years old though it looks brand new. I went with a ballistic nylon version. I considered leather but nylon won out. You won't appear out of place with it, I can assure you of that. It does not look chinsy at all, it's a very firm and durable nylon.

It appears Tumi has made some changes to the Alpha line so mine is slightly different but there are plenty of waterproof pockets and generous space inside. I've actually traveled with two computers and a tablet with it, plus all the cables and whatnot. It has been a fantastic purchase.

If you prefer backpacks, they make some great ones as well. Have seen plenty of guys in suits traveling with those as well. If you're looking for something ultra premium, I have yet to find anything better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.