Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPowers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Arizona
Hey guys,

So I recently started to have an issue with my laptop. I updated my Mac (MacBook Pro that was made in mid-2010) to the latest version of El Capitan, and after a little while of that being around, my computer would do this thing where randomly it will just restart and will give the error to hold my power button down and restart my computer. It either then just goes away and loads normally, or it restarts and loads like there's no issue. It does comprehend that there's an issue, though. The good thing is it doesn't do it a lot, but will do it usually 1-6 times a week randomly.

I have tried fixing my permissions, I did my scanners with VirusBarrier and TechToolPro, and I even used Onyx to clean things up and it doesn't change anything. The scanners also say there is no issue. The random restart seems to happen more when I put my computer to sleep or when I have it on for long periods of time and I don't have it doing something to keep it active (like letting it upload something, play music, let something scan, etc.).

Does anyone know what the cause of this could be and how to fix it? If anyone could let me know, that would be great. I have some important presentations coming up and I can't afford to show it and have my laptop restart in the middle of it.

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
I had a similar problem with a 2013 mbp. It took quite a lot of phone calls to support to sort out and even then not perfect. Involved starting in safe mode and removing quite a few files and caches from library etc. Can't remember all the details but suggest you call Apple support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.