Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgefrans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Hi. I know this is a macforum and I use windows but want some advice here. Can someone tell me how do you find the correct laptop sleeve size? I have a dell xps 15 9520 that is 15.6' but it is more like a 14 inch laptop if you look at the specifications.

Is is suppose to fit tight correct and not loose? What should be the width and depth I should be looking at in terms of the range? Do you make it is very similar? But like 1/2 inch more? 1 inch more at the most? If the width and depth of the sleeve is 2 inches longer than the laptop, then it is too long right? Anyone with this laptop or a similar xps 15 laptop from the last few years could tell me what laptop sleeve they use?

Dell XPS 15 9520 Specs are

Rear Height : 0.73 in. (18.54 mm)
Width: 13.56 in. (344.40 mm)
Depth: 9.06 in. (230.10 mm)

georgefrans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
I bought the first one here. It seems way too loose with the xps 15 9520 in it. The reason being the sleeve is 2 inches bigger in both the width and length correct?

The second link tomtoc looks okay but is that too tight? 13.75' whereas as the xps 9520 is 13.56 inch width of the xps? The depth is just about 0.5' bigger. So this would be very snug and tight and not that good?

The third link tomtoc seem mention it is specifically for the xps 15. But it doesn't mention which years. That is 14.06' compared to the 13.56 inch of the xps. The width is about 0.64 inch bigger.

1. Voovo 15-16 inch $16

https://www.amazon.com/Voova-Waterp...Z3CHH3&sprefix=voova+l,electronics,245&sr=1-2

Internal dimensions: 15.6 x 11 x 0.8 inches

2. Tomtoc 14-15 inch $23

https://www.amazon.com/tomtoc-Prote...01NGZ4076/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Internal Dimensions - 13.75" x 9.48" x 0.61"

3. Tomtoc 15 inch $29

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZXW544/ref=twister_B07B2VZYH5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Internal Dimensions - 14.06" x 9.7" x 0.66"

Can anyone give me some advice here? it is frustrating checking amazon and I see people say xps 15 fits good or it doesn't but not knowing what year their xps 15 is because older xps models are a bit bigger. In general, how much bigger should the sleeve be compared to the laptop when looking at the specifications? The 3rd link seem to be advertised directly for the xps 15 but of course this sleeve came out back years ago.

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I use a 15” surface laptop 4 for work with the below dimensions and use the tomtoc 15 inch case

15.0": 339.5 x 244 x 14.7 mm (13.4 x 9.6 x 0.58 in

Here’s a pic of the fit

6F9E8B36-7580-4BDD-B88B-3B6E4E2B8962.jpeg
95473751-3DA4-4DA5-8986-CBF4C620FABA.jpeg

georgefrans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Check out the products from Waterfield, Tom Bihn and Nutsac
These are very expensive. I wanted to spend between $10-$30 max on a laptop sleeve.

I cannot find one on amazon that is a good fit for my xps 15 9520 and doesn't have issues. For example that tomtoc looks very good as it fits and lot of reviews. But then some people say after using it for a while, there will be marks on the back of the laptop with their macbook. I have xps so that will also happen?

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Does it leave bubble marks on the back of your laptop? Heard some reviews on this.
No, the material is super soft and cushy. I have two tomtoc cases - one for the surface laptop and the other for my MBP 14”. Neither my surface laptop nor my MBP have bubble marks on them from the cases, but I did buy size appropriate cases - I read reviews before buying, to ensure fit

Last edited:

georgefrans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
No, the material is super soft and cushy. I have two tomtoc cases - one for the surface laptop and the other for my MBP 14”. Neither my surface laptop nor my MBP have bubble marks on them from the cases, but I did buy size appropriate cases - I read reviews before buying, to ensure fit
how long you had it for? you don't see any bubble stains at all? So you are saying if its too tight, it can cause bubble stains?

Anyone else?

georgefrans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022

Posts like ...

I purchased this sleeve a year ago. After a while, I noticed these circular abrasion marks on my Macbook caused by those circular pads shown in the product images. Don't purchase this sleeve if you don't plan on putting a case on your MacBook as well. It will scuff the aluminum body

I purchased this sleeve a year ago. After a while, I noticed these circular abrasion marks on my Macbook caused by those circular pads shown in the product images. Don't purchase this sleeve if you don't plan on putting a case on your MacBook as well. It will scuff the aluminum body.

I only discovered this after over a year of use, but the circular pads on the inside of the case are abrasive and leave circular marks on the metal of my laptop.

So I went and ordered one of these tomtoc sleeves and after putting the laptop in and taking it out, seems like there are these small stains/marks on the back of my xps laptop? Read some people have this issue. Who here has these tomtoc sleeve with the egg like thing inside? Anyone else get these stains? Went and took some alcohol to wipe it and that seems work. So you have to clean it everytime? What is the proper thing you use?

Tissue or bounty or cloth? With alcohol or water?

Seems to have great reviews on protection but these circle spots worth it? Some comments include hard to clean or spots won't come off? Why do some people have this but others do not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.