Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
I've been a web designer for 5 years now, and I feel it is time to consolidate all my work for my clients, and get my own webspace for all my personal projects. I was looking into Dot5 Dedecated hosting for $75/mo. Would that be enough to host a website like macrumors.com? It will have a vBulliten forum on it, and I have no idea how much space that takes up. I do know, that I will need a LOT of bandwidth, and pages have to load fast, including large flash files. Is there something out there for less then $300/mo that would be able to host a very large site like macrumors, and still be very reliable and fast? It will also have Google Adsense, but I don't know if that generate any revenue. How much money is realistic for about 500,000 views/mo?

--Waluigi

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Large site web hosting......what is the solution?

Heh...

Lots of questions....

Moving to a dedicated sever can be for a few primary reasons:

1) Bandwidth... usually you have a much higher bandwidth limit.
2) Processing Power - you are running scripts/pages which are bogging down shared servers
3) Freedom - to do things and install things you want.

Now, the $75/mo Dedicated from dot5 Hosting would not likely be able to host MacRumors. It's hard to compare sites though. A server like that could easily serve tons of static pages. The forums and mysql server for MacRumors requires a bit more power.

We are currently on 2 Dedicated servers.

Dual P3 w/ 2GB RAM for forums/mysql
Single P3 w/ 1GB RAM for macrumors.com

along with my other smaller projects.

When you say a LOT of bandwidth, how much are we talking?

arn

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Re: Re: Large site web hosting......what is the solution?

Originally posted by arn
When you say a LOT of bandwidth, how much are we talking?

Thanks for the info

Well, I'm getting about 500,000 hits a month on a page that is about 50Kb.

I'm also going to have a vBulliten fourm, like this one, and I have no idea how much bandwidth I can expect from that. Right now, I have about 80,000 posts, and 5000 users on a free board, in the last 2 years, and like macrumors.com, it is just increasing exponentially.

On top of that, I have all my flash based websites (about 20 different 1MB intros, and 1.5MB pages) that get 100,000 hits a month, which really eats up bandwidth.

I don't have the time to host myself, so I'm looking for a reliable, and not overpriced service. I need something with good speed, and uptime.

--Waluigi

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Re: Re: Large site web hosting......what is the solution?

Originally posted by Waluigi
Thanks for the info

Well, I'm getting about 500,000 hits a month on a page that is about 50Kb.

I'm also going to have a vBulliten fourm, like this one, and I have no idea how much bandwidth I can expect from that. Right now, I have about 80,000 posts, and 5000 users on a free board, in the last 2 years, and like macrumors.com, it is just increasing exponentially.

On top of that, I have all my flash based websites (about 20 different 1MB intros, and 1.5MB pages) that get 100,000 hits a month, which really eats up bandwidth.

I don't have the time to host myself, so I'm looking for a reliable, and not overpriced service. I need something with good speed, and uptime.

--Waluigi

**** what site are you running that gets that many hits? Can I have some? :)

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Re: Re: Re: Re: Large site web hosting......what is the solution?

Originally posted by tazo
**** what site are you running that gets that many hits? Can I have some? :)

When you put the words "Harry Potter" in the meta tag, you'll get lots of hits too:D .

--Waluigi

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
for the level of sites & bandwidth you are using you definetly want managed hosting on your own server - it seems to me your loads will be a bit too intense for a shared soloution. I can reccomend Rackspace as a good bigname company, but what i would STRONGLY suggest you do is to go to the Webhosting forums at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ , sign up, and make a post explaing what your needs are and people there will tell you what you really should be looking for (this is a great source of information, the forum is insanely busy and you will get a LOT of input) That is also a good place to have people bid for you as well, you can post with what you are looking for and people will quote you out.

I can speak from experinece that i had a site that at its peak did a million hits a month, and while i was on shared hosting, it was feeling the strain, mostly because the host i was with was not prepared to actually have me USE all the bandwidth i paid for (the bastards). Managed hosting of your own server gives you a much better soloution.

you really need to get a feel for the host as well, what datacenter the server is in, what kinds of support they offer (for $300 a month you damn well better be able to call them on the phone - none of this email crap) and so on and so forth. One thing i will say that is very definitive: You get what you pay for. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT go for the cheapest soloution, because you will invariably be dissapointed long term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.