Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Appleton, WI
My new PMac is on the way. I have an old LaserJet 5P. There is a large and small parallel port on the back. There is also a local talk port. Can anyone tell me how to connect my old LaserJet to my new PMac? :confused:

fclark

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
My solution

I use a Farallon EtherMac iPrint. On My HP 4mp.
There is an adapter that takes local talk -> standard telephone cable.
Then The telephone cable -> EtherMac iPrint -> Ethernet cable
From there it goes into a ethernet router.

I remember a few of these converters on the market.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I bought a dLink ethernet printer server ($75 or so a while ago) that has inputs for parallel, USB, and serial printers. I plugged the parallel port of an old LaserWriter into it. This way, the laser printer appears on the home network for anyone to use, Mac or PC.

mwatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Appleton, WI
I took the easy way out and gave my wife the 5P for her windows machine. I bought myself a cheap USB Brother Laser for myself.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You could also buy a used HP JetDirect Plus print server for about $20.00 on eBay.

I've been trying to figure out whether my old HP LaserJet 5MP will work with Tiger with the AppleTalk to ethernet bridge I've been using for years. I understand AppleTalk support in Tiger is limited.

Anyone got an answer this question?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.