Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
My current iPhone is XR. Bought in 2019. Still on original battery. Maximum capasity shows now 85% but even that’s been fine for my use. I could replace the battery but Apple might also drop XR from supported devices list for iOS 18. XR will probably (?) continue receiving security updates but I also like having newest version of iOS. Now, if I were to buy a new iPhone, I would be looking at SE3 because it’s newer model than iPhone 11 and I kinda miss thin and light iPhone. I have found this XR too large and heavy. Also SE3 is probably the last LCD iPhone. Not considering OLED. So, my question is, what do you think, how long SE3 will be supported for new iOS versions?

Thanks.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Probably 4-5 years maybe. If you don’t like the size or weight of the Xr you might really like the SE3.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
So relesed in 2022 it should be supported until 2026-2027 theoretically?

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
I consider the SE a downgrade in so many aspects from the XR. Better go with the 11 or consider an alternative to iOS with LCD, which also isn't many devices, or they tend to be on the ultra low-end. The SE3 has the A15, I suppose it's still got about 4-5 years of receiving the latest iOS. Are you sensitive to PWM?

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Are you sensitive to PWM?

I don’t know, I have never tried OLED screen. But the idea alone makes me want to skip it until it’s fixed. Flickering doesn’t sound good at all. Perhaps some people don’t experience sympoms but it still may impact health on some level.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I consider the SE a downgrade in so many aspects from the XR.
I have thought about this but for me it may actually be an upgrade in overall comfort of use. Like I said, size and weight. My use is so basic (mostly Mail, Safari, iMessage, occasional YouTube video and FaceTime call) that I don’t really require large screen. Face ID is nice but I’m fine with Touch ID as well. And the camera… I take photos very rarely and even iPhone 6 photos I considered OK for my needs.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
I don’t know, I have never tried OLED screen. But the idea alone makes me want to skip it until it’s fixed. Flickering doesn’t sound good at all. Perhaps some people don’t experience sympoms but it still may impact health on some level.
All screens have some flicker, OLED is just more noticeable. I and many others have used OLED screens exclusively for years now, personally since when the Galaxy S2 came out. Especially if you haven't tried it, I would not be worried about it at all if you haven't experienced any issues due to PWM. Perhaps you could try an iPhone 13 mini if size and weight is something you're worried about. Other retailers still have them, and you can return it should you end up not liking it and experiencing PWM sensitivity. Definitely don't knock it until you try it. OLED will surely stay around so at some point in time you'd have to make the switch anyway.

That would give me only one more year of iOS version update. Compared to XR.
Supposedly, but you never know. Apple was selling the 11 up until last year so it stuck around for a long while - they might be giving it OS updates for longer. The A13 is quite a bit more powerful than A12. But there's also no guarantee the XR will be dropped with iOS 18. We've seen it before with iOS 9 and iOS 12 which didn't drop any devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.