Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
I have something strange at Catalina, and only since I install this new OS and it never happend before with other Mac OS versions. I always close all my windows of my programs that are open when I close my Mac for example, Mail, Twitter app and Firefox, but after a reboot those programs open again, sometimes, not all the time though so it's a bit 'spooky'. I have not checked anything at the close pop-up and also not by right clicking on the mouse on the programs and then options, open after logging in. I also look at Preferences > Users > Login Items, but no login items there. How can i rid of this problem? Or could this be a bug in Catalina?
Also after the latest update I still have this issue so it's still not solved. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

BH1947

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
UK
Have you ensured that the little box asking if you wish to reopen windows is not ticked in the shutdown/restart dialogue box?

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Have you ensured that the little box asking if you wish to reopen windows is not ticked in the shutdown/restart dialogue box?

No it's not enabled. And I close all my windows before closing my Mac with cmd-Q so they are really closed because that little dots under the closed apps in my dock are gone after that.

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
This happened to me as well. I close everything down and on reboot it comes back. It only happened maybe 10% of the time though. Seems to have stopped with 10.15.1

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
This happened to me as well. I close everything down and on reboot it comes back. It only happened maybe 10% of the time though. Seems to have stopped with 10.15.1
Strange, just it happens from 10.15 was released. Not everytime but 1 or 2 times a week. Before it never happend with other Mac OS versions.

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Happens to me as well. Seems like a glitch.
Glitch in 10.15? So yes, where can I report this glitch? So it seems that Apple is not aware of this glitch because it's still not solved in the latest update.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Nobody can help me out with it?
Wait 10-15 seconds between closing the last app and closing your Mac. It seems Catalina takes a while to clear the entries in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.loginwindow

Reactions: Erwin33

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019

Ok, done. I hope they see this, because they never replied after bug reports what I remember.
[automerge]1572604518[/automerge]
Wait 10-15 seconds between closing the last app and closing your Mac. It seems Catalina takes a while to clear the entries in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.loginwindow

Ok, never heard of that. Maybe I'm too fast. But this could be a workaround until this bug is fixex.

Last edited:

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019

I do this almost 2 weeks and it helps for now. But I hope it's temporary because this is not the way how it should be off course.

Erwin33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
Yes, for now I don't experience that problem anymore. So fingers crossed.

BadWolf13

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2009
This same problem is happening to me. Started happening when I upgraded to Catalina, and is still happening on 10.15.4. Another interesting aspect of it, is that if I save a shortly before shutting down my Mac, it will reopen the previous version of that file, and my saved version won't exist anywhere.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This same problem is happening to me. Started happening when I upgraded to Catalina, and is still happening on 10.15.4. Another interesting aspect of it, is that if I save a shortly before shutting down my Mac, it will reopen the previous version of that file, and my saved version won't exist anywhere.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

A couple of things to try. Try creating a new user account, logout of your current account and login to the new user account. Now reboot and login to the new user account. Does the issue still happen? If it does not then there is something related to your user account that is causing the issue.

If that does not help then try applying the 10.15.4 combo update.

BadWolf13

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2009
A couple of things to try. Try creating a new user account, logout of your current account and login to the new user account. Now reboot and login to the new user account. Does the issue still happen? If it does not then there is something related to your user account that is causing the issue.

If that does not help then try applying the 10.15.4 combo update.

As stated, I'm already on 10.15.4.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Experiencing same problems. I did a fresh install of 10.15.4 a couple weeks (upgraded from Mojave) ago and I noticed apps (Firefox, TextEdit, file folders, etc.) sometimes opening up/starting on their own just from logging into my user account.

And every now and again, when I launch Firefox, I'll get a message asking if I'm sure I want to open Firefox because it was an app that was downloaded from the Internet.

Very annoying bugs.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
As stated, I'm already on 10.15.4.

I understood you were already at 10.15.4. Applying the combo update can do a refresh of system files. The combo update contains all updates from 10.15.0 to 10.15.4 not just an incremental from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 that happened by going through system settings update. I have seen the case where applying the combo update fix problems people were having.
[automerge]1588185715[/automerge]
Experiencing same problems. I did a fresh install of 10.15.4 a couple weeks (upgraded from Mojave) ago and I noticed apps (Firefox, TextEdit, file folders, etc.) sometimes opening up/starting on their own just from logging into my user account.

And every now and again, when I launch Firefox, I'll get a message asking if I'm sure I want to open Firefox because it was an app that was downloaded from the Internet.

Very annoying bugs.

Did you do a clean install or a upgrade install? Try a clean new user account to see if the issue is with your user account.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Did you do a clean install or a upgrade install? Try a clean new user account to see if the issue is with your user account.

It was a clean install.

I was thinking of doing another clean install over the weekend, but maybe I'll try creating a new user account first.

But even aside from the apps launching by themselves, Catalina feels slower than Mojave, particularly when logging in or out of or switching between accounts. Mojave was snappy. When logging out of Catalina, the dock hangs there for a few seconds before it finally decides to log out which seems to be another common issue with 10.15

And system is fully up-to-date

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.