Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your top 3 iPhone Generations?

• Total voters

ergoego22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I'm after what the crowd-sourced "best" iPhone is.

But I want it not from an objective perspective ("the iPhone 4 was a huge leap forward..." etc.) - I want you to vote for up to 3 generations that viscerally gave you a sense of "wow" or pure enjoyment.

For me, it's iPhone 5s, SE1, and 12 mini - can you tell I'm in love with this form factor? :) Please only vote for a model you owned - I would probably vote for the 13 mini (should be objectively better than the 12 mini - nearly same form factor but better specs), but I haven't owned that one so it's the 12 for me.

The 5s was my first iPhone - loved the design. Perfect. I still think it's a beautiful piece of engineering/industrial design. 12 mini would be better if it had a flush camera. But that brushed aluminum back... lovely design.

SE1 was just 5s but with 6s guts - that processor and iOS 12 (I think) improved performance and gave that phone an awesome recent-retro vibe (people would always ask if my phone was an original iPhone haha) along with good enough performance. I love the flush camera. Miss that. So understated and classy. And the one-hand size is just swell to use (and I'm a big dude - 6'2" and big hands). I also loved that I could stand it up on its bottom surface for watching something while eating or looking at instructions for something that required both hands.

12 mini - so excited and gratifying to have the return to form, in the middle of the insanity that was 2020 covid - the box edges, one-hand operation, can stand up on the bottom, and a new power - with the silicon case, it will stick to my fridge! I often pull up recipes and throw it on my fridge face. Out of the way and accessible. (the larger iPhones with MagSafe are too heavy and slide down). Also super useful when I'm in the lab and looking at a picture of a wiring diagram or something - I can throw it onto the metal shelving and have it right at eye level while working. Excellent non-marketed feature. I will have my mini as long as possible, and then when I am forced to, I will eek out another year by buying a used 13 mini (unless, miraculously, another mini gen comes along). .5 camera zoom was a first for me in this gen as well - so much of what I take images of benefit from this (capturing a whole industrial machine wiring cabinet in one shot before disassembly/debug is just lovely).

My least favorite - iPhone XR. Can't really explain why, but I think it just felt like an android phone with iOS. Huge, not-great screen, too-smooth and formless. Felt generic and un-inspired.

Others I've owned - iPhone 6s, iPhone 8, iPhone 7

Feel free to add your own flavor to the discussion (when you got it, notable memories with that phone, etc.), or just vote!

I originally had planned to have it broken out by pro, max, plus, etc. but the poll wouldn't give me enough options, so I lumped them together a bit.

Reactions: tlab and mectojic

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
iPhone 4 and X are the first that come to mind. I think the X was the last release where I truly thought "wow." I also still have an immense love for the mini series but switched to the 14 Pro last year due to the battery. I had the iPhone 6 the longest so I also voted for it, too. Really dug that form factor, too.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I own several phones (including Windows Mobile and Android), all the way back to my first smartphone in 2009. Some I like more than others, some I have because I wanted to fill in gaps, one of them is really cool. But none of them say 'WOW' to me.

The last Apple product that had me at 'WOW' was the 1.0 Ghz 17" PowerBook G4 and the PowerMac G4 Quicksilver - both of which I own. I have a lot of older Apple stuff (I'm typing this on a 2009 MacPro) because I see them as capable tools. They do the job I ask them to do and I like them well enough. Just not to 'WOW'.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
the X was so good

anyone else remember when people used to complain about faceID?
I wish I kept my 2017 iPhone 8 Plus for Touch ID during COVID. Took Apple a good while to get watchOS updated for COVID unlock.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I can’t decide! I’ve loved every iPhone I’ve owned. The first one absolutely changed my life in 2007 and it’s all been uphill from there. I think my favorite is always the one I have at the moment. 6S+ was notable because it was my first BIG phone and I’ve stayed with the big models ever since.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
iPhone 3GS I never owned (sorry... I voted before properly reading), but it was my first introduction to an iPhone and I was amazed. My dad worked in the tech industry and for IBM in the 80s-early 2000s so I was around a lot of cool and "futuristic" tech my whole life and so have always been interested in it. I'll always remember in elementary school, I think I was in grade 4, a friends mom had the newly released 3GS and was trying to take a video but had no clue how, and I was able to show her. I found the shutter animation so cool and ever since then, using my first iPhone, I've wanted one lol does the iPod touch count? I got one for Christmas the year the 3GS came out

iPhone 5 was my first iPhone after having Blackberry's for a few years, and I loved how "big" it was at the time. I got it in grade 8 and I'll always remember everyone asking to see and hold it because they were amazed by the half an inch increase, I guess after being with a 3.5" phone for many years it was a huge leap! If I recall correctly, Samsung had phablets at that time too, however they were not popular and were seen as the outcasts.

iPhone 12 because Apple finally released a mini version! I got it in black after only owning white/gold phones going back to the Blackberry Curve because it looked so sleek being small plus having the flat edges. I've never liked the iPhone 6-11 design with the rounded edges so it was double the excitement for me. Also, it made it kind of nostalgic thinking back to my first iPhone. Ironically, after the iPhone 5 I only had Plus models, and before the 12 mini I had the Fold3...

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
The X design is what brought me back to iPhone. However, the 8 Plus is the one iphone I wish that would come back more than any other (my wife had that phone in that dark Product Red and was an incredible looking phone).

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The 4 had the first high-DPI scree, the 5S was the last good phone size and had TouchID (still better than faceID), and the 6S added 3D Touch.

I was definitely considering voting for the first iPhone, but it really was kind of a beta compared to the 3G.

Last edited:

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Wait a sec wasn’t 5c its own release? I remember going to Best Buy on release day not caring what color I got and I ended up with blue because that’s what they had in stock. It looked like a toy but I loved it!

Reactions: Pixillated

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
To me, iPhone wow ends after the release of the first iPhone. And nothing comes afterwards are enough to truly wow the world again as a whole. The first iPhone really created an industry wide earthquake that shook all other manufacturers by surprise and disbelief that was very hard to replicate in modern days.

Every other One since is just some form of evolution over the very first generation iPhone.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I can’t decide! I’ve loved every iPhone I’ve owned. The first one absolutely changed my life in 2007 and it’s all been uphill from there. I think my favorite is always the one I have at the moment. 6S+ was notable because it was my first BIG phone and I’ve stayed with the big models ever since.

I can’t say I’ve loved all my phones. They were not all created equal.

I do love them in general, I’ve had at least 12 versions…

I was one of those anti-Apple tech geeks back when the first phone came out. But that didn’t last long and my first iPhone was the 3G. Loved that thing.

Loved my 4 once I got one without issues. 4S fixed everything and was one of the best phones ever, but I didn’t have one.

The 6 Pluses had the new “wow” factor which wore off.

X was good and “wow” but had its issues.

11 Pro was by FAR my favorite iPhone and really the only full-blown S-tier phone I’ve owned. Nothing completely “WOW” about it. It was just the whole package:
  • Best hand-feel of any iPhone, period
  • Fantastic battery life
  • Amazing camera(big leap) and still holds up
  • The phone would lay flat, face-up on a table. The leather cases were great and just flushly covered the camera bump.
I miss that phone… (mom has it now)

Since then I’ve had the 13 Pro(good), 14 Pro(terrible: battery/cell/gps sucked)

And now the 15 Pro Max. It feels like a potential successor to the 11 Pro. Nothing is fully “WOW” but the phone is somehow better than the sum of all its parts. Hand-feel is better and lighter than the last 3 Pro bricks. Battery life is solid or at least better than the 14 and dethroned the 13. Camera is a legit leap(last 3 were good, this is noticeably better despite what some might see as minimal spec bumps. The result is great)
Action button with shortcut config(currently get silence/video/photo depending on orientation of phone when I push the button.) and other more configurable options is better than I expected.
Thinner bezels.

The whole thing may seem “incremental” but put it all together and it is starting to feel like the best phone in many years…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.